Slaughtering chicken and taking the steam train in Ooty


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Ooty
January 27th 2007
Published: February 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Indian Superman...Indian Superman...Indian Superman...

...or Superwoman? Hard to tell who swings the Indian flag on this mural painting
Ooty (or if you prefer Udhagamandalam) used to be a British hill station on 2,240m altitude. Now it is a welcome escape from the heat of the lowlands for both foreign and Indian tourists and honeymoon couples.
We had a more or less pleasant walk through the hills and tea plantations. Although in the dry season it rained quite heavily in the morning. Some people thought that irreversible climate change was taking place but I guess weather conditions are changeable in the mountains. I was most impressed by a mountain village and its welcoming tea shop. Starbucks could learn a lot from this place - nice company and personal service, delicious chai and (very sweet) sweets for 6 people for the outrageous price of 50 Rupees (1 Euro) alltogether. Some village boys told us about how the different religious communites live together in the village. Apparently the Hindu, Christian and Moslem community live together peacefully.
The secluded bazar of Ooty was a photographer's paradise. People were posing happily behind their stalls, displaying all sorts of produce and meat.
The mountain steam train from Ooty to Mettupalayam is one of the big attractions. You get dramatic views of the hills, tea plantations
Steaming tea stallSteaming tea stallSteaming tea stall

This guy makes hot milk frothy by pooring it several times from one cup to the other. The result is delicious and ultra sweet chai (milk tea)
and waterfalls. After all the train drops app 1,500m the reach its destination. Going through tunnels is very exciting for everybody as there are no lights...
I met this amazing Canadian family. They were travelling for 7 months all through Asia with their children aged 14, 11 and 7. They were so relaxed about the whole trip and taught their children the school lessons they missed in crowded trains. When we had to take the unreserved train for a short trip we were a bit apprehensive. Could we get on with all our bags? As it happened, getting on was not the problem. When we tried to get off people had already jumped on the moving train and stormed into the carriage before we could even make a move...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Guarding the chickenGuarding the chicken
Guarding the chicken

This man makes sure the chicken in the cage next to him don't run away. Their fate is sealed anyway...
Last chance to become famous...Last chance to become famous...
Last chance to become famous...

...for this chicken. The throat is slit and the chicken is thrown into a ton with all the others.
This man is not crossing the street...This man is not crossing the street...
This man is not crossing the street...

...he is just having a look around
Village boys and holy cowVillage boys and holy cow
Village boys and holy cow

The boys were really happy to pose for the picture. The cow had to be convinced with some gentle force.
Mountain steam trainMountain steam train
Mountain steam train

An attraction for tourists, honeymoon couples and other Indians alike
Tea plantations...Tea plantations...
Tea plantations...

...are scattered all over the hills around Ooty. The light green leaves on top are ready for harvesting and trees provide the necessary shade.
Passengers on unreserved train carriagePassengers on unreserved train carriage
Passengers on unreserved train carriage

Getting on was surprisingly easy - getting off a real challenge!


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb