A Tiger Reserve Coffee Plantation


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Mudumalai
January 21st 2017
Published: July 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 11.583, 76.5843

After 36 hairpin turns descending the Niligiri mountains, a drive through a very dry Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary with no elephants or other wildlife in sight, we eventually arrived at the Mudumalai Tiger Reserve where the driver told us to transfer from our teensy weensy car to a jeep. No one had mentioned this but we trustingly did as we were told. Good thing. The road into The Wilds (www.serendipityo.com/thewilds/index.html) was the bumpiest road I had ever seen with ruts that were over a foot deep throughout most of the kilometre drive. And nothing, up to this point, in all our travels around the world had beaten the bumps of Costa Rican roads.

The warm breezes, bird songs, monkeys scurrying, Chital deer chomping in the surrounding coffee plantation and the pretty gardens (even with last season's monsoon rain of only 19cm versus the normal 55) invited us into the serenity of this place. The Wilds holds onto the feel of its original purpose as an old British hunting lodge without the hunting part. Relics from older times decorate the lodge, evening campfires and an elevated outdoor gazebo all contribute to the feel of people gathering communally to eat, drink and experience the magic of nature all around.

During the afternoon plantation walk, that required a staff member to accompany guests for safety, we met a couple from Nairobi, Kenya. Duncan, a writer and photographer and Aru, an environmental consultant, provided endless stories and information to guide us in many ways. Jim observed Duncan as he took charge to create the photos he desired, assertively placing his subjects in a specific spot to get the light he wanted and effortlessly charming them into giving him the expressions that would produce the photo he was composing.

We did not do a safari as most animals were far away, deep in the forest seeking water. Envious, we got news of rare tiger and black panther sightings by staff when driving the jeep in and out of the road. We did, however, see wild boar, peacocks, Malabar Giant Squirrels, a tiger paw print and fresh bison poop.

An excursion to a temple on a hill for the sunset was a nice break from the lodge. We arrived with plenty of time to spare so Jim and I played around photographing. Time feels so expansive most days, I wonder if we will ever re-integrate into Western norms...hopefully not.

To see more of Jim's photos and in higher resolution, visit his Flickr site.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



1st February 2017

Good Morning from Snowy Canada This is a lovely read to start my day Thank you for sharing. Jim you have once again captured a different beauty of India. Donna your words are National Geographic quality. You guys make an awesome travel team
. Enjoy xo
1st February 2017

PS : BEAUTIFUL Yoga and Dance poses DONNA xo
1st February 2017

So beautiful , the photos, commentary , and you Donna filled with grace in asana ~ Om shanti ~Bonnie
1st February 2017

He is very cute and colourful. How giant is he?
1st February 2017

I can feel your peace and joy.
2nd February 2017

Thank you, Sue, for your kindness and loyal following, never failing to comment on our posts. Much appreciated!
2nd February 2017

it's body was about the size of two loaves of bread and the tail was as long as that as well. They were BIG!Sent from my iPad
6th February 2017

Love to read of your adventures, my friend. Love to see your asanas in the sunset. New FB profile photos!

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb