The Trial Run


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Chennai
September 6th 2011
Published: September 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Following what felt like a traumatic series of sari relates events, I thought the sari itself would stay in the bag and I would pull it out every once in a while, look at how pretty the material was, then put it back in the bag so it wouldn't crease in the wrong spot or something dire like that! Little did I know, the sisters that are staying here at Mithra had other ideas.
We'd had quite a long weekend. We'd visited Kanchipuram where we completed a crash course in 'How to visit 5 temples in under 2 hours', been blessed by elephants, taken thousands of photos, eaten delicious meals, visited Keralan cultural events, eaten the best ice cream and shopped up a storm. The sisters would have no complaints of being tired or sweaty or wanting to preserve the sari in some kind of glass cabinet- if they had to sedate us in order to get the sari on us, they would (we were allowed brief showers before putting the saris on...phew!).
We were made to stand in a short blouse and skirt which they kept rearranging (I was not wearing appropriate underwear according to nun standards) while they wrapped what seemed to be kilometres of fabric round our calves, hips, chest, arms - what ever could be used as a fabric holder, it was wrapped in fabric. Then, with what seemed like a second, we were dressed, wrapped carefully in a pretty sari!
And although I protested and complained, it was actually extremely fun!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb