Chennai


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Chennai
January 13th 2008
Published: February 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Team!The Team!The Team!

Here are my fellow CEEPers and travel buddies outside of our hotel.
I awoke to (amorous? fighting?) pigeons fluttering and cooing outside my window. Later I discovered they like to build nests in the fan vent in the bathroom. Speaking of bathrooms, a new arrangement for me with the plastic bucket and drain in the corner instead of a shower stall!

Spent the first day being groggy but still managing a very interesting discussion on religion with some of the group. Later we enjoyed tea at an old renovated mansion and tried in vain to keep the mosquitoes from devouring us. Failed miserably at socializing/networking with some Indian colleagues. Chinese/Indian buffet at fancy hotel left me in an unbearable food coma!

The next day was full of lectures at the University of Madras . Lovely campus that seemed miles away from any city- a park like feel with lots of trees (beautiful big Bayans) and wildlife to boot! (Okay, just some deer and.... MONKEYS!) Lectures on nuclear power and waste in India; Native American communities and toxics; assessing/ redefining 'sustainability' for Indian forests and inhabitants; and lastly a lecture on Lewis Mumford and Modernity by our dear Professor JB.

We spent the following day first visiting with Anne's former band
BlossomsBlossomsBlossoms

Our accommodations in Chennai
instructor, who showed us a Hindu temple (Arulmigu Kapaleeswarar) and lake temple. It was basically our first time walking around on the street and I got a better sense of the commerce that is everywhere on the streets, from tiny convenience and mechanic shops to makeshift street side produce, fruit, and flower stands and a few wrinkled old and tiny young children asking for coins. I was particularly affected by one small girl holding an even smaller child on her hip. She was begging for money so persistently, tugging on our clothing. Her mother was a few metres away watching.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Beautiful girlBeautiful girl
Beautiful girl

Haha I couldn't resist snapping a photo..she is sooo pretty.
temple godstemple gods
temple gods

Some colorful fellows
YummyYummy
Yummy

Everything is so colorful...especially the fresh produce in the sunshine
The Indian Ocean!The Indian Ocean!
The Indian Ocean!

A nice family splashing in the waves
Happy PongalHappy Pongal
Happy Pongal

We were in Chennai for the new harvest holiday, Pongal. Outside of every home and business are these lovely and elaborate designs, hand made with colored flour.
Anne and IAnne and I
Anne and I

learning to use my crazy camera at night


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb