Sikkim Tour: Day 5-6: Gangtok to Pelling


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Sikkim » Pelling
May 17th 2022
Published: May 17th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Day-5: Gangtok to Pelling via Chardham and Buddha Park



At last, there was something to see in Gangtok.

On Day-5 we were to travel from Gangtok to Pelling.

As usual, taxi was expected anytime between 9 and 11. Fortunately, we could start the day at 9.30.

Four places in Gangtok were on the list: Flower show, Do Drul Chortan Stupa, Namgyal Institute of Tibetology and Handicrafts center. Last two were closed due to weekly holidays.

Flower show has good collection of flowering plants arranged nicely. As the number of photographs is just too many for this blog, I will put up elsewhere. Funny part was that every visitor wanted to be photographed himself/herself with the flowers. Selfie culture has changed the definition of photography. You are always in the center!

Next was the Do Drul Chortan Stupa situated atop a hillock. We have visited almost a dozen Buddhist worship places and all have been impressive: clean, quiet, peaceful, simple.

Sightseeing c/o Ajay Modi – over.

On way to Pelling (as such only 3-4 hours from Gangtok), two more sightseeing were added on ‘extra-payment’ basis (3500).

Chardham in Namchi and Buddha Park (Tathagata stal) in Ravangla.

Chardham is a big complex of replica of Hindu temples. The twelve Jyotirlingas and the Char-Dham (North-East-West-South). Canteen within the temple complex is good.

Buddha Park is also a big complex but more of a garden and sight-seeing place.

Both the places are worth visiting.

Reached Pelling – Hotel Sonamchen (peak season rate – 3200). Location of the hotel is good. Rooms, facilities and food – ordinary.

End of Day-5.



Day-6: Pelling to Darjeeling



Started the day after breakfast at 8.30.

Pelling itself is a beautiful, quiet, scenic place situated at an altitude of 5,500 ft.

Three sight-seeing places were included today’s itinerary.

First was “Sky-Walk” at Chenrezig monastery near Pelling. It is said to be India’s first glass-sky-walk. A good tourist attraction.

Next was Pemayangste Gompa and then Bird Park.

Rabdentse ruins, Kanchenjunga falls, Khecheopalri lake (holy lake) were not included.

As usual, for daily quota of extra earning, visit to Singshore bridge was offered by driver for Rs 2,000 extra. This is India’s highest and Asia’s second highest suspension bridge. For a change we refused and proceeded to Darjeeling.

Hotel Pink Mountain, Darjeeling. We had better hotels in Gangtok. Poor ventilation. Very congested location. Food – average. (Peak season rate – 6000).

Evening was free. We needed rest very badly. Moreover, we were supposed to start for Tiger Hill at 4 in the morning next day.

End of Day-6.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb