Sikkim Village Trp with GlobalHop Travels


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Sikkim » Kangchendzonga
October 4th 2008
Published: February 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hee VillageHee VillageHee Village

Panoramic Hee
Sikkim Village Tours With GLOBALHOP TRAVELS

www.globalhoptravels.com .

We raced on to West Sikkim for Runchenbong village. Entire journey was along fairyland Sikkim with ever present Mt. Kanchenjunga, Kobrus, Pandim and lesser peaks. We reached Soreng Bazzar at a height of 5576 ft. and then walked 20 minutes for the village. Sikkim State Forest, Environment and Wildlife Department have put thrust on Eco-tourism in this area.

At Runchenbong Village, Dushan Rai and his wonderful family ran the home-stay. Mr. Rai explained that we could undertake many long and short treks, numerous village walks and village experience. All these were part of the trip. Charming hospitality overwhelmed us and ethnic food was sumptuous. Since we were hop skipping and jumping village to village we did not undertake treks to either Pemyangtse or Barshey but undertook a trek to Jhandi Dara to see wild flowers and birds. Since the area comes under the Varshey Rhododendron Sanctuary, we experienced the lush beauty of the rhododendron.

Our next halt was at Mangalbarey Village, another picturesque village set out at the most scenic locations of the Himalayas. I found it to be the ideal place to make it base for touring West
Hee 2Hee 2Hee 2

Beautiful Hee
Sikkim. It attracted me was its being away from maddening crowded cities where one could soak into Sikkimese hospitality.
Our stay was at Bliss Resort, Biksthang with the spectacular view of Mt. Kanchenjunga and its ranges from this luxurious resort. We visited a bio-farm and a monastery supported by this resort. We had experience of a typical Sikkimese village. Sapna was very happy that she could take Tibetan herbal treatment and later we all took part in meditation.

Our next destination was Hee-Bermiok Villege, in the land of the Limboos. When we reached the village, we found ourselves bound by Kalez Khola in the North, Hee Khola in the West, Rangit Khola in the East and Samdong Reserve Forest in the South. No setting can be better than that of Hee-Birmiok Viilage. Scenic spectacle is mind boggling and flora and fauna are interesting, so is birding.

The village is dominated by the Limboos but we found large number of Chettris, Sherpas, Tamangs, Bhutias, Rais and Lepchas here. We experienced their distinct religious and cultural heritage.
We were staying at Hee Touris Lodge, a joint initiative of Sikkim Tourism, Help Tourism, and Association for Connservation and Tourism, Hee Patal village, and Tamling Nursery. The project gave us enough opportunity to enjoy and appreciate the cultural heritage of the Limboo community.

But most fascinating was landscape of the area. Mount Kanchenjunga was spectacular with Pandim and Kobrus. The spectacles are visible from all four rooms of the Hee Tourist Lodge. Tourists can stay with a few Limboo families, too.

After experiencing the ethnic societies of Hee-Bermiok village, we soft trekked to the Barshey Rhododendron Sanctuary. On the banks of the River Barshey and cuddled in the Singalila Range and at height between 8000 to 14000ft, the sanctuary was covered with rhododendrons. There were junipers and silver firs. There were proliferations of plants with flowers. Scenic beauty of the sanctuary was stunning.

Our last village resort visit was to Teen Tale Eco Garden Resort, Rumtek in East Sikkim. 24 kilometers away from capital Gangtok Rumtek is situated at an altitude of 5800 feet. Though the Dharma Chakra Centre where His Holiness the Sixteenth Gyalwang Karmapa founded his seat and Rumtek Monastery has attained the most important seats of the Kagya lineage, I am not talking of the monastery here.
Daintily perched on a picturesque slope of Rumtek Teen Tale Eco Garden Resort took our breath away with its settings and landscaping garden is fairyland. Surrounded by forest, this little hideaway blends traditional architecture and interior design with modern amenities. Rooms are as good as star hotels yet different. Food was marvelous.

We drove 18 kilometers from Teen Tale Garden Resort to Fambong Lho Wildlife Reserve’s sprawling wildlife zone. Immediately we were in birds’ world and the special bird so far missed by us in Sikkim. We saw a pair of beautiful blood pheasants. Though leopards and black bear can be seen here, we did not. But we saw totally camouflaged three red pandas hanging from oaks. There were hundreds of colourful butterflies, matching rhododendrons colour for colour.
In Sikkim Teel Tale Garden Resort is the pioneer in the new breed of eco-tourism.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb