Winding down with School and Indian Wedding


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan
May 12th 2009
Published: May 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I am just a few hrs in the school at the moment now exams are over. We've been juggling and doing lots of art. Oh and a bit of English too! 😊 The children are mostly playing games and the staff are enrolling new students.

Aiden's favourite teacher from the school invited us to his wedding. We went home on the school bus with one of Cal’s favourite teachers. Her son is Aiden’s age. We enjoyed a relaxing afternoon there and some typical Indian hospitality. The wedding was in the evening so we went by rikshaw to the ceremony which was downstairs from the eating area. We greeted our friend who was getting married (though he was officially already married, as it seems Indian weddings are a drawn out affair) and watched while someone made a turban for him to wear for the ceremony.

There were SO many wedding guests so the ceremony spectating, photographs and eating was a flowing affair. The ice making machine was a big hit. Cal and Aiden are keen that the Ashram purchases one so we can have our own crushed ice with the flavours of course for Sunday afternoons and birthday parties! We are sure the hostel boys would also appreciate it!! The Bride and Groome did not get to eat until 1230am so it was a long day for them. Lots of posing on the stage and getting their pictures with many guests. A typical Indian wedding is said to cost between $15 000 - $30 000 Australian dollars and this is often an extended family’s life savings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb