Green Lakes & Palaces


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
September 26th 2006
Published: October 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Indian SpicesIndian SpicesIndian Spices

Spices we used at our cooking lesson
Udaipur is a city know for it's lakes and palaces and after the monsoon the lakes were full and sparkeling, but still not a body of water I would touch with my toe. Many people raved about Udaipur and while Jarrod and I had a relaxing time, we felt it was overrated and over priced.

We wandered the streets, read and took an Indian cooking class. Entry fees for the palaces were way too expensive, more than the cost of a night at our hostel, so we avoided those. We took in a great traditional dance and puppet show. One dancer walked over broken glass with 5 water jugs on her head and then continued to spin in circles with a smile on her face. On the positive side, Udaipur was full of roof top restaurants with views of the lake, palaces, temples or just the city. However, the Lonely Planet recommended some crap places to eat and missed out on some fabulas food and views, it's worth it to look around.

Our last evening was the begining of a nine day hindu festival and children ran around a statue of the hindu god, Krishna, banging sticks together in the middle of the street. What I found more interesting was that the women and men kept seperate and watched the kids from opposite sides of the street. We didn't stay long as we were pretty tired.

After finding water we wouldn't dare swim in and being hot and sweating for 5 weeks, we are really craving the beach. We are heading to the state of Gujarat to get away from the crowds, tourists and find some clean (hopefully) water!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The Infamous Camel Toe!The Infamous Camel Toe!
The Infamous Camel Toe!

Seem familiar...


4th October 2006

Have fun at the beach, I bet the cooking classes were great.

Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 29; qc: 142; dbt: 0.1426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb