Camel Festival


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
October 30th 2006
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In 24 hours, we took 2 trains, 2 buses, 3 autorickshaws and 1 jeep to arrive here. It was a uncomfortable and dirty experience, but we are here, and now clean once again. We traveled from Amritsa to Chandigar to Delhi, to Jaipur, to Ajmer to our final destination Pushkar. You can see from the map, we have traveled a remarkable distance in one measely day, but we are determined to get down to Goa within this next week so hard-core traveling are on the cards.

Pushkar is a holy city (no eggs, meat or alcohol allowed) which is built around a lake in which many come to bathe and cleanse themselves in the holy water. The street is filled with 'Holy Priests' and monks, who are dressed in a bright orange turbans and robes, with big chunky necklaces. However, It was the annual Camel Festival that was the most interesting thing about thi little desert town. It is estimated that there are some 20,000 camels that are brought to be bought and sold. We entered the festival in stlye- on the back of a wooden cart, pulled by our camel called Krishna. As we caught the first glimpse of the desert and its fesitivities, we could see the hot dusty dunes splashed with colour. Camels of all shapes and sizes were draped in flowers and festive brights. As we entred into the action we cold see and sense that the whole place was buzzing. We watched a moustach competion, a turban tying competion and a family circus type performance. It was interesting to see and take part in. In the evening there were Rajistan dancing and futher celebrations.
Im am greatful that i was there to see it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



14th January 2007

wow
great photos! i've written you a message asking some questions. Happy travels. Patricia

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb