Day 11 - Move to Pushkar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
July 30th 2014
Published: July 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day11 - Moving on to Pushkar

Up at 4.10am. Both Jude and I were up and about ok. We had done all off our preparation and packing last night, so we didn't have much to do. This morning we are travelling to Ajmer by train, and then we will change to a local bus for the 14 km drive over Snake Mountain to Pushkar. Udaipur to Ajmer train takes about 7 hours. The connecting jeeps took about half an hour.
On arrival we had time to get refreshed, get something to eat, and a short nap, due to the early start. All these were very welcome!
At 5pm we went on an orientation walk with Ankur. As always, he was very guarded with us all. He gave us instructions on how we should respond to the locals in this town. I find it quite amazing how people's attitudes towards us varies from town to town.
Pushkar is also known as the Holy City. It is really a religious city. It is an alcohol free city, no meat or eggs are allowed to be eaten here, no women's shoulders or knees to be shown.... Yet it is ok to get high!!! Very strange!
The feel of this town is so different to the others. I find it quite oppressive... Or may be a bit 'heavy', but interesting, all the same!
After a bit of a look around, and a visit to The site of the world's only temple to the Hindu god of creation Brahma, Pushkar is often called "Tirth Raj," the Raj (king) of pilgrim centres.
We then walked down to the Lake. It is said that no pilgrimage of Hindu places is considered complete until the pilgrim bathes in sacred waters of Pushkar Lake! We didn't do that! We just had dinner near the Lakeside instead, although about half of us decided to eat inside due to the swarms of Mosquitos outside!
We took a slow walk back to the hotel. It was a really relaxing night, after having a long tiring day.
We have another early rise in the morning as we have the option to climb to the hilltop Savitri temple at dawn to see the sunrise. I am still on the fence about doing this as every time I have attempted to climb a hill to see a sunset ....... It has never shown due to the clouds. It is a big ask! .... I'll let you know tomorrow what my decision is!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



31st July 2014

Hiya from UK
Hi Lesley Enjoying your blog. Looks like a great experience. You'll be glad of your 7 day spa at the end I bet. Keep having fun xx
31st July 2014

Hiya from UK
Hi Lesley Enjoying your blog. Looks like a great experience. You'll be glad of your 7 day spa at the end I bet. Keep having fun xx
31st July 2014

Hi Hank
Yes, am loving it! I had a quick look at Peru too... Lol x
31st July 2014

Still following.......!
Hi Lesley.....still following your every move .....and loving it! The experiences you are having, the things you are seeing ...you will never forget......it all sounds and looks so amazing. Don't know how you keep up your stamina! Will wait to hear whether you went to see the sunrise! I suspect you might have done. Take care...thinking of you. Angela
31st July 2014

Hi again
Awww ... Sorry to disappoint you, but I didn't do it! I had a really bad nights sleep last night. I will be refuelled by tomorrow x

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb