Pushkar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
January 8th 2006
Published: February 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Next stop is Pushkar. It's quite a small town with a pop. of 15k (for comparisons, the prior stop at Jaipur was 2.3 million - which is quite big for any country). Pushkar surrounds a lake (a holy lake) and there are certain rules - no alcohol (tough for Roy), no meat or eggs, no public displays of affection (Jill was very upset by this one).

Our hotel - Seventh Heaven - is amazing. Room isn't spectacular (could use some central heating) but the building is an old haveli which in general is a building with a open interior (like a courtyard). We woke up each morning and walked to the white marble rooftop to get our breakfast and read in the morning sun. Very relaxing. Food is also good but eggs would have been nice. Dinner was average at the hotel but we did grab some snacks at Third Eye - a roof-top restaurant with a pool table serving solid Israeli food exclusively.

Sunsets at the lake are romatic (we're getting pretty good and zoning out and ignoring the beggars). As I've mentioned before there is alot of begging, it is part of the culture. Jill and I have generally agreed that we wouldn't contribute to any flat-out begging on the grounds that it creates futher incentive to beg (of us specifically but also in the general sense). But I do have respect for the pseudo-beggars, those selling cheap knick-knacks for 5 or 10 Rs; at least, they're involved in business - goods for money, I find this more respectable. Though, we haven't bought anything from them either.

Our last night in Pushkar, we were both awakened by a man (could have been female which would make it more impressive) hocking what I imagined to be the biggest loogie (sp?) ever but a human. It was like 4 or 5 in the morning and this guy/girl must have been going at it for at least 5 minutes with uninterrupted hocking for over one minute at a time. This habit happens to be fairly common throughout but I can hardly blame anyone considering the pollution and exhaust everywhere. I don't mind the spitting, personnally, it's just that loud kcchhhhhhhhhhh that I can't get used to.

Taking a bus to Udaipur (and arrived safely); bus ride is about 7 hours but ends up being 9 because of the many stops along the way. See the picture of the bus - it was not exactly what we expected when they said luxury. The key is that the driver sits in a cockpit which is the whole front area (including passenger) and he curtains himself off so that passengers can't see what is happing out in front; this, I think makes it more comforting except for when we are quickly jolted from side to side. I'd rather not think about it.

Until next time.

A few general items:
- 40 Rupees for a litre of gas. 40 Rs is about $.90 and 1 gallon is about 3.8 litres. So what you have is $3.50 per gallon in India.
- Back in Agra and Jaipur when Jill and I have been visiting the Forts and other sights we have been approached frequently by young Indian males (in their 20s) on their holiday (probably from some other part of the country) for pictures. And not (as I thought) for me to take a picture of them, but for them to take a picture of us with us in the picture. No offense to Jill but I have been more popular with the crowds. I feel like somewhat of a celebrity.
- In general, Indians like to stare; mostly at Jill. They have no qualms about staring, not unlike a certain locksmith friend of mine, for lengths at a time. I like it because now I am just a staring machine; this might be a hard habit to break when I leave here.
- Any shout-outs of hotels/restaurants are for any individuals which may use this as a reference in the future. Doubtful that it would be anyone I know.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Chilling on the RoofChilling on the Roof
Chilling on the Roof

Check the goatee - its coming off soon but I feel I needed some facial hair to fit in
MoooMooo
Mooo

Get that camera out of my face - Man!
No alchohol...No alchohol...
No alchohol...

But these dudes enjoy otherwise
Temples and PigsTemples and Pigs
Temples and Pigs

Because I know you all love these pics...
3rd Eye Lunch3rd Eye Lunch
3rd Eye Lunch

In the footsteps of the creator - the "meal picture guy", you know who you are
DinnerDinner
Dinner

Standard Veg Meal - this is chickpea curry with chapati bread. Bread is so good here!
Monkeys on RooftopsMonkeys on Rooftops
Monkeys on Rooftops

The monkeys happen to be very friendly in Pushkar.
Get out the way!Get out the way!
Get out the way!

The king is coming through!
Bus to Udaipur and JillBus to Udaipur and Jill
Bus to Udaipur and Jill

Somehow after only 10 days, this bus didn't even phase us as being unsafe. The scary part though is the driving.


13th January 2006

Dealing with beggars
As a rule of thumb, more in Cambodia than Thailand, instead of giving money to beggars (who knows if that is going to shoes, food, glue for their nose, or their "beggar pimp?!"), I would buy things like nutritional juices, pens (for school), other snacks, bottled water, toothbrushes, etc., and give it to those in need. I felt better about myself, and it certainly was for their own good.

Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.13s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb