Cochin India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
March 13th 2006
Published: March 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

March 13th, 2006,
Day 67 of our cruise of 105
Cochin, in South West India

What a wonderful surprise, Cochin is a lovely city.

Indian Customs and Immigration is a challenge for a cruise ship, they tell us. To compensate for this, we were treated to a folkloric show this morning at 9:30 am in the Queen’s Lounge, very unusual but organized by the capable activities staff to ease the wait. We were finally cleared to disembark at 10:30 to a parade of 4 elephants all decked out (but chained as not to stamped).
We rented a taxi and driver Boban with our friends Mary and Robin and set off to see Fort Cochin and the Chinese dipping nets, the many Christian churches (we saw an Indian wedding) and the Mattancherry Palace with erotic 16th century wall art, lovely! We then drove to new town and walked around the bazaar. I purchased sarees from a street vendor for very little and Terry bought no carpets!
The highlight of the day was the visit to the ship by Vicky and Bruce’s son who lives in the south-eastern part of India. He flew his family of 6 to join our co-passengers, very happy and content Australian grand-parents. The visitors left as a troupe of drummers and dancers were sending us off to our next port of call, the last of 2 in India: Mumbay. We will be there for 3 days, the 15th till the 17th. This will be the end of the third segment of our cruise. The picture of the Delf tile of this 3rd segment commemorates this milestone. We then start our last segment of 35 days, from India, through the Suez canal, across the Mediterranee Sea and the Atlantic Ocean to Florida and home.


We are well, although a bit snug in our clothes!
Happy Birthday Daniel
Hello my children, hello granny. - please send us news

Ttys, love to all





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



13th March 2006

Memories of M&R's travels
Hi Claire. Sounds like this part of your trip will be very different. I just love the picture of you in the Saree shop. The colors are just so beautiful and your outfit in the last shot...really cool. Thinking of you both often...enjoy India.

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb