The heat of the desert


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
June 24th 2006
Published: June 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had just one day in Jaisalmer, but set so far out in the desert, it was almost too much to bear as the sun beat down and the city closed up, itself hiding from the heat.

The city palace was not particularly interesting, but the havelis outside of the fort were just lovely. Intricately decorated old homes of the nobility, the antique furniture made of silver was just stunning, as were the carpets and carvings both inside and out. We visited a second, more run down haveli - filled with bats, rats and pigeons - not exactly nice, but still beatiful in its own way, and with spectacular views across the town to the Golden Fort.

From the rooftops of the fort we could see right off into the desert - it was completely surreal, and as the water from the taps scorched us, we really understood just how unforgiving the desert can really be.

Thankfully we found a nice guesthouse (Hotel Desert) with super friendly staff who loaned us their water cooler, and a nice little old lady who cooked up a tasty thali when the rest of town had shut up shop for the summer. It really did feel like a ghost town, not that I'd blame them - it was so hot I was tempted to spend my time in the dark, cool of the guesthouse and was relieved to board our 20hour air conditioned train to Delhi.

Advertisement



26th June 2006

Are you sure you're not Chinese?
You two are constantly talking about food, are you sure you aren't part Chinese? Maybe in your past lives? I can swear food is the one thing on every Chinese's mind when they travel, at least that's what's on my mind a lot... Right now making a booking to an Italian restaurant!

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb