Holy Cows eat everything!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
January 26th 2006
Published: January 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Taj!The Taj!The Taj!

This was in Agra, before the blog!
Hello !

We are now back in Johdpur after visiting Jaisalmer and the desert on camel back! owever, I just saw a holy cow munching its way through a very large cardboard box, and it occured to me that I dont even think it is wierd anymore to see cows strolling through markets looking at the veg, laid down in the middle of roads having a sunbathe, and even walking upstairs to have a nose into the restaurants! (It's quite strange what people have as holy things - especially when they add so much aroma to the streets!)

The fort in jaisalmer is full of shops and houses and restaurants giving it a wonderful old-world feel as you wander around the maze of streets trying to avoid cow pats and basking dogs. The atmosphere here is much more relaxed in general with less "money, pen, chocolates?" from the children, and so far we havent been followed around by too many strange men either! There are lots of beautiful havalies - which are delicately carved houses made from sandstone around the fort as well.

Yesterday we made our way in to the desert for a camel safari, which to
Desert!Desert!Desert!

Camel safari is tough on your bum!
be honest, I had begun to dread! However once I got up on the camel (after nearly going A over T off the back of it when it was standing up!) I really enjoyed myself. The desert was mainly scrub but we happened across some stunning sand dunes to watch the sunset over. It was quite romantic really with the sound of the camel's bells tinkling, the camel driver's soft singing and the camel infront poisionously farting away! When we had settled into the dunes to watch the sunset in the blissful quiet of the desert, I couldnt quite believe it when : " Pepsi, fanta, crisps?" came piercing through the air followed by a small boy with a huge bag on his back having appeared from no where. Even in the middle of the flipping desert you cant escape them!
After the ride we enjoyed a camp fire and lots of traditional folk music which was good but bloody cold after the sun had gone down!
I now ache all over but the experience was worth it!

We are heading off to Ranakpur tomorrow, lots of love

Sarah xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Holy Cow!Holy Cow!
Holy Cow!

Yum yum cardboard box!


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb