Nearly a week in Jaisalmer


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
January 10th 2009
Published: January 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi again,
Jaisalmer has kept us here nearly a week now and we're loving the easy pace of the place. The hotel is just outside the huge fort on the hill which has a labyrinth of passageways, temples, small shops and houses. We are hassled much less here and feel much safer.
The managers (brothers) of the hotel also look out for us and if we want to go anywhere we get a free lift in the car or jeep (we can't be sure that their motives are completely honourable but we stick together like Siamese twins and constantly mention our "husbands" back home). We could be just flattering ourselves but we don't want to end up in Pakistan having been swapped for 5 camels or 15 goats.

We went to the home of one of the brothers the other afternoon and had a lovely time. Two wives were there and about 8 children aged from 4 to 10. The children were so friendly and affectionate, especially one boy of about 8 who is both deaf and dumb. He changed outfits at least 3 times to maybe impress us and wanted his photo taken many times. Whatever we did however, none of the children would smile in the photos; they would stand to attention with a very serious face and mostly push their brothers, sisters or cousins out of the way 😊
We also went to the lake where small loaves are sold for 10rupees. These are to feed the very ugly catfish that come to the surface. The lake is also used for boating and there was a very random selection of boats and pedaloes (?) to chose from with one blue swan!! There was a man also by the lake who was shouting "Owh" every other second which amused me to the point where I NEARLY lost control of my bodily functions.

Yesterday we did the compulsary desert safari trip including really comfortable camel ride (not). There were about 15 of us with camels patiently waiting, apart from mine. He was the grumpy bastard of the bunch and decided to try and throw me off at the first opportunity. I clung on like a good 'un though and have the inner thigh bruise to prove it. I have to say that I didn't find the 45 minute trek into the desert very relaxing as I clung on expecting a repeat episode from the @#*(&% camel. We then dismounted to watch the sunset over the desert. This sounds quite romantic but the reality was that it was like watching paint dry (to quote Claire) as it was ruddy freezing out there despite the 3 layers that I had on. (I'm not really a miserable cow, reader).

Today we rose late (as usual) from our ex-maharja room, had a leisurely breakfast on the roof and then went shopping with our personal escort and driver (yes, one of the brothers). We've spent a small fortune on soft furnishings (thanks to Claire's obsession with these and my inability to exercise self-restraint). Many rupees and 2 hours later we left the textile heaven having also arranged for our considerable purchases to be couriered home.

I hope to upload some more photos to my gallery, but haven't tried such a task on this PC yet so don't get your hopes up. India 2 may be there, maybe not.

After an intial baptism of smog and dirt in Delhi, we are enjoying our time here as it develops and we adjust;finding more relaxing and enjoyable experiences.

We're staying here for 8 nights in total and then onto Bikaner for one night. This is the place that has a holy temple full of holy rats...yes, RATS. They are considered to be the sprirts of the dead....hmmm, can't have been that good in a former life. There are 2 white rats that are considered extremely lucky if they run over your feet. This is a temple so no shoes are allowed of course. Claire wants the "new experience", I, on the other hand, believe it is one I can live without. No, I'm not a wuss.

See you soon back in dear old Blighty, Deb x




Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb