Bikaner: More Camels


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Bikaner
November 30th 2012
Published: December 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

KissesKissesKisses

This Bikanary Camel was especially affectionate or curious. Notice her extra long eyelashes and overly furry ears--this is extra protection from the sandstorms.
It was difficult to leave Pushkar. Very difficult. We were able to find solace in the fact that many of the camels were leaving the fair--more with each day, and that our next destination would include more camels.

We left Pushkar early and said goodbye to the Camp Bliss staff. It was like telling friends farewell since we had been the only guests to stay the entire fair and we enjoyed our time so much.

We drove to Bikaner and checked into our hotel in the Royal Palace. The Royal Family stays in part of the palace and we are staying in the other part of the palace. Nice digs!

Our main reason for going to Bikaner was that it is home to the National Research Center on Camels. We went to the complex to tour the museum, learn about the different breeds of camels and see what they were learning about camels.

We hung around the dairy for feeding and milking time and we were lucky enough to be there when the herders brought the grazing camels back to their corrals. We also went to the Camel Milk Parlor to sample camel milk products, but were
Got Camel Milk?Got Camel Milk?Got Camel Milk?

Our hearts were broken when they told us they were sold-out of camel milk ice-cream. We are starting to think we will never get an opportunity to try camel milk ice cream!
very disappointed to find they were out of camel milk ice cream!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Camel Milk for EveryoneCamel Milk for Everyone
Camel Milk for Everyone

Kyle and I ordered pineapple camel milk (served in a bag) and dad ordered camel milk tea.
How Does One Choose?How Does One Choose?
How Does One Choose?

I'll tell you how...there was only one flavor available when we visited!
Would You Like to See Photos of My Camel?Would You Like to See Photos of My Camel?
Would You Like to See Photos of My Camel?

I helped the herders bring the camels to water and then to the corrals after they had been out grazing. All the while practicing the camel herdering clicking sound I learned from the Pushkar herders. I showed them photos of Siwa to explain my experience with camels. They told me he is a good-looking camel. (Tell me something I don't already know!!)


1st December 2012

tough life
Sorry to see you guys having to rough it on this trip:-). Cheer loudly for KSU today or in your case tomorrow? I will be sick if they lose and OU ends up champs:-(. It was 54 degrees this morning! No rain but it felt and looked like it should have been raining. Nancy

Tot: 0.507s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 130; dbt: 0.3986s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb