Ousteri Lake near Pondichery


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Pondicherry
January 11th 2014
Published: January 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Visiting Ousteri Lake




Ousteri lake or Ossudu lake is about 20 kms from Pondichery. Before going to pondichery I had planned to go there by PTTDC (pondichery tourisim) bus. But after reaching pondichery I came to know that PTTDC had cancelled all local tours because of lack of tourists. Even the daily local tour to Aurovil was cancelled. Other tours like Pasumai Puduvai or eco-friendly tour (Ousteri lake, Tiruvakkarai etc.) were out of question.

After becoming hopeless from PTTDC we planned planned the trip by a hired scooter. It was a fun driving scooter to an unknown place in a different state. The people were helpful to guide about the road. But we had to ask several people because of our Tamil illiteracy.

The beauty of the Lake




The lake is maintained by Pondichery Tourusm. But the lake was very large and was visible from distance. But there is not much expenditure to make it attractive. We saw just a small green board showing the name of the lake.



The lake is so large that when we went further towards Tiruvakkarai on the same road, the lake was visible on roadsite ti.ll from road for several kilometers.

Boating facilities




When we reached there during noon, there were no visitors. The place was lonely. We checked about the boating facility. There were no pedal boats. Motor boats were available but one had to wait for 10 people or pay (1000 rs) for all 10 people. None of the options were suitable for me.



The wooden steps to the Jetty was attractive. We just enjoyed the natural beauty of the place for some time without spending any money. (Note that there is no entry fee to the lake.)



Although there were no visitors when we reached there subsequently a few people arrived. I guest that was not the time to visit the lake, because later when we returned from Tiruvakkarai on the same road we stopped at the lake again at 4 o'clock. That time the lake was more crowded (about hundred visitors).

Some last words



Ousteri lake is less visited than Chunambar boat club. One of the reasons may be Ousteri is farther than Chunambar and has less communication facilities. If you are visiting Pondichery for one or two days you may drop the place. But if you are spending longer than two days in Pondichery it is worth visiting this place.You may view my video on Ousteri lake below taken in Dec 2013.
<iframe style="color:� font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; line-height: normal;" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I_yIBUpnK9o" frameborder="0" width="480" height="360"></iframe>

Advertisement



21st January 2014

http://hotelsoftelplaza.com
beautiful lake....

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb