Agra to Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
December 23rd 2010
Published: January 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

December 23, 2010: Agra to Delhi

Sam Wrote:

We checked out of our hotel at 9am and were on the road soon after. Ashfaq told us that Delhi is only 229 km away, it will take approximately 5 hours. The traffic on the road was not heavy but the highway became a local road when it went through a community, the intersection was very congested. This happened every 15- 20 minutes. It was interesting though. You got to see all aspects of Indian society.

It is a disgrace that the main highway between Delhi and Agra – a major tourist route – is such a thoroughfare. You would think the Indian government would want to take this opportunity and exhibit the best of India.

As we entered New Delhi, Ashfaq, slowed down significantly. He did not go over 40 kph. When I questioned him why, he explained that the Delhi police are quite vigilant for speeders. The reason is not to curtail speeding but to line their pockets. Apparently, if you are caught speeding, it will cost you about Rupees 200 – cash. This money goes straight into the cops pocket. Very lucrative.

Just then we approached an intersection where 4 cops were standing on the lookout for “rule breakers”. And then, right in front of them a rickety, old bus made an illegal u-turn and pulled up to a bus stop in front of us. The cops did not even bother looking in the direction of the bus. Once again our driver explained, the bus belongs to a private transportation company. The owners of the company have paid off the cops to look the other way whenever their vehicles are operating. In addition, the private transport company owners have paid off the regular Delhi Transport Authority bus drivers not to make scheduled stops at the bus stops. Thus the commuters are forced to use the private buses instead of the municipal ones. Just then, we passed a brand new Delhi Transportation Authority bus. It is an elongated bus, same as those we have back home. On-board, at 1:30 pm, there were only 4 people: the driver, the conductor and two passengers. And then, as if on queue, it drove right thru a bus stop that was packed with commuters. Their only hope was the old, dilapidated private busses. Commuting – the Indian Way.

Side note: The Delhi Transportation authority has two types of buses: Green and Red. The red buses have air-condition where as the green ones don’t. Needles to say, the fare for the red buses is more than the green ones.

We reached our hotel at 2pm and after a quick bite of lunch went to the DLF Shopping Mall. There, we saw an Indian film : Band Baaja Baraat. Pretty interesting theater. Reclining, comfortable seats and waiters asking if they can get you anything to eat. Now that is service. A great experience even though the movie was not that great.

After the movie, Tejas and I opted to get our hair cut @ a salon in the mall. I lucked out but Tejas got scalped. He looks pretty funny with his hair cut so short. During my haircut, stylist asked what it feels like to fly in an airplane. Its hard to imagine that something as routine as an airplane flight is something a typical Indian has not experienced.

Dinner was room service at the hotel. Wake-up call is for 4 am.


Shivani Wrote:

Today we drove from Agra to Delhi. The drive was creepy. After the driver dropped us off at the hotel, we freshened up, then headed to the mall-which is right next to our hotel. We had gone to the mall for the first time on our first day in India, so it wasn’t that big of a deal. But the mall is way better than the mall’s back home. They have a Ed- Hardy store, and a Haagen- Das. We grabbed Ice- Cream- I got coffee! (Fun Fact: Shivani loves coffee. Her favorite Ice Cream flavor is Coffee, especially Hagen-Das. She has always liked coffee!)



Yamini Wrote:

Another early start and long drive ahead. We left our hotel at 9am for drove straight to Delhi, arriving around 2. We once again checked in The Grand Hotel. After lunch at the hotel, we walked to the fabulous DLF mall next to the hotel. Did I mention, this mall is amazing…puts Metro Town and Oakridge to shame! One of things on list to do while in India was to watch a movie at the cinema. The kids were thrilled at the opportunity. We watched the Hindi/Punjabi movie called “Band Baaja Baraat” at the mall cinema. It was an okay movie but great theatre experience all with a waiter…that’s right…he took our orders while we sat on our very comfortable reclining chairs. During the movie I asked the kids if they were enjoying the movie, they tell me yes but where are the English sub-titles. LOL! After we get out of the theatre, Shivani and I head to the bathroom and when we come out we see Sam and Tejas at the hair salon getting haircuts! We let them be and head to the book store while they are getting their hair cuts. When we head back I see Tejas has a buzz cut! OMG….I can tell he is not happy with it, but holding back tears. I really felt for him…..but hey, it’s only hair and will grow back quickly.

We walk back to the hotel, order in and pack a small bag for our first train journey to Amritsar (the “Golden Temple”).


Advertisement



Tot: 0.029s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0125s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb