Delhi Belly


Advertisement
Published: May 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Apologies for the lack of contact in the last couple of days. We have been busy occupying the toilet one after the other. This Delhi belly business is true!

Anyway, apart from toilet shenanigans, we have also been out and about in delhi town. A half day tour was booked for Wednesday 6th where our trusty driver and his mate took us round old/new delhi. First up was a muslim mosque in old delhi where tszwai was handed a colourful gown which made her look like she was from delhi circus (photo to be uploaded when we hit Thailand tomorrow)! Naturally, being a mosque we had to take off our shoes and leave them outside with the minder who would no doubt demand money for looking after them. Our shoes looked out of place, being bundled amongst the mountain of dusty sandals.

Once inside, there was a large concourse where Muslims would gather whilst inside the mosque, Muslims where practicing their art of praying. Apart from this, there was little see apart from some foreign people being shouted at for trying to ‘spark up’ in the middle of the mosque! Little after 15 minutes, time was up and we left to collect our shoes with demands to hand over some rupees.

Back into our vehicle and off to the Red Fort in the blazing heat of 40 degrees. Being the 3rd fort in 3 days, we thought it was better to stay outside and take a few snaps as we were feeling the déjà vu! Alas, the first opportunity to haggle with a postcard seller - this failed as my price was too low @ 14p for 12 postcards. It was too hot and we couldn’t be bothered so we left!

Next up was Ghandi’s memorial which was in the middle of a peaceful green park, and was also the cleanest place in India (think of Hyde Park)! Again, this was a shoe job so we took it in turn to visit Ghandi. On the way out, we were halted by a gang of locals demanding a photographical image of us two Orientals. We were nice and huddled up for a group photo - are we celebrities?

Half way through the day now - and we hit the Lotus temple which look like the Sydney opera house. This was a stunning temple which looked like anything
Red FortRed FortRed Fort

Like all the other forts that we went to!
but. Again, we did not enter as not much was to be seen inside and queuing up with the midday sun was not desired.

Feeling the heat and hunger we drove past India Gate - a war memorial (looks like marble arch) and the presidents house (looks like Buckingham palace) with the ministry of finance and defence on either side. Not much to see really apart from a few photo opportunities.

Last on the list was the Hindu Lakshmi Narayan temple. This will be remembered by memory as no photos were taken due to the law prohibiting us from taking photos here! A very colorful temple with the swastika symbolizing perfection was stamped all over. Nature was calling for tszwai so back to the hotel for another session.

After a hectic day, we returned to the hotel to diner up in town as a swanky restaurant. This was no avail as still we had delhi belly!

I stayed up for the rest of the evening to catch the big game. Trying to keep my eyes open was a tough job until Essien hit a wonder goal. Unfortunately I fell asleep at half time and woke up to the final whistle.

We draw our stay in dehli to a close and shall be taking a flight out Bangkok this evening. This will hopefully lead us to some good food as I have been meatless for 10 days and slowly wasting away. We are also glad to announce that delhi belly is clearing up!

See you in Thailand (hopefully some pictures will be uploaded)

Chris & Tsz Wai




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Verda restaurantVerda restaurant
Verda restaurant

Restaurant was recommended in lonely planet but still delhi belly attacked :(


11th May 2009

Hey, loved reading your blog on delhi...glad to see ure enjoying it...tszwai i did warn you bout some stuff i guess u see wot i meant about some things lol cant wait to see the photos! Kiran x

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb