market madness


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
December 4th 2005
Published: December 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello again.
Today we sorted out our mobile and our new number is 0091119873381035. If you text, let us know who you are as we don't have your numbers with us...sorry!
Our hotel is basic but clean. We have 'bucket' hot water and showering with a jug takes a little getting used to but we have a western style toilet so who cares! Also no signs of scuttling or furry friends. Bonus.
We headed into Old Delhi and took a rickshaw tour that lasted about 3 hours. Our driver, Akbar brought us around all the various markets. Here they devote entire parts to just one product; spices, silks, electronics, jewellery etc. Some of the stuff was beautiful, some complete tack, but we're both terrified of the stall owners. If you show even a flicker of interest in something or make eye contact at all, you're done for. They have you measured, colour chosen, item packed and are discussing similar for all your friends and family befoe you can even say "just looking". Then they get really offended when you don't part with your cash. The ironic thing is that they do themselves out of business, imagine Nutts Corner times 1000. Shopping here is more than an artform - it's a battlefield.
Also in Old Delhi is the famous Red fort - built around 1680s, its walls stretch 2 kms in each direction and has a massive moat all the way around.
Akbar then took us to a Jain Temple. It is over 1000 years old and made entirely of pure marble. The entire inside walls and ceillings have been hand painted with the most intricate designs and images of the different stages of enlightenment. It was absolutely breathtaking but we weren't really allowed to take photos.
Still havent regulated our sleep patterns, so it's off to bed for an early one.

Hope all is well.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb