Arriving in Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
November 4th 2007
Published: November 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rooftops in DelhiRooftops in DelhiRooftops in Delhi

View from Hotel on our first night in India
After about 25 hours of flying, Coree and I finally arrived in Delhi. We were greeted at the Delhi airport by what seemed like a million signs and a chorus of screaming and we began the daunting tasks of finding the sign with our name on it. Eventually, we found our driver and he took us in a shag carpeted tourist taxi to where we had made a reservation at a hostel. We got out of our taxi and walked into absolute chaos, fighting with rickshaws, locals, and even cows just to walk down the street. It took about two days until we could start walking down the Delhi streets without looking like two deer in headlights. On top of the culture shock, it was hard to handle the filth of the city and the unfortunate encounters we had with the locals. By the end of the three days (we left Delhi at the first chance we had) the two of us had yet to find a single resident of Delhi who weren’t after our money or our white skin. By the time we reached Varanasi we had to consciously work at trusting people again after the constant scamming at the beginning of our trip. But the city did teach us how to bargain, be mindful of corruption and people working on commission, and how to watch what we eat! We did get out and do the tourist thing for a few days while we were there. We saw a few Hindu temples, the President’s House and Parliament, and India Gate. We also had our fare share of India’s beer on Coree’s Bday!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Hotel NamaskarHotel Namaskar
Hotel Namaskar

Welsome to our first hostel experience!
Paharganj, DelhiPaharganj, Delhi
Paharganj, Delhi

View from roof top
The sandel storeThe sandel store
The sandel store

Us with the owner and his son
Cor with ShopwomanCor with Shopwoman
Cor with Shopwoman

Of the million purses in the shop, Cor chose the one that happened to be the shopkeeper's. It now belongs to Coree- see bag around her shoulder


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb