The beauty of New Delhi starts to reveal itself


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
September 30th 2005
Published: October 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Yes, most of Delhi is pretty ugly. But here and there, if you close your eyes to the ugliness around, there are some lovely places. And even inside the real Delhi, there are some interesting places to explore and experience.

We took a guided tour, mainly to save the hustle of finding our way around. The big Hindu temple of Lakshmi Narayan (or something like that) was big... and it had some beauty. Unfortunately we couldn't take pictures inside, so I can only share with you a bit of the external look. It's strange that there are some separate halls, but no one big hall like you see in churches, synagogues or mosques. In one hall there was a small band playing some spiritual music, that was really nice to listen to.
Outside Hadas and me decided to dare and buy some Indian sweets. Ouch, they were disgusting (for us... I know they are great for others... trying to be p.c. :-)

Then we went to the Bahai temple of Delhi. It's a real beautiful building shaped like the lotus flower. It's built from white marble, and thus it's beautiful also from close distance (unlike the Sydney opera to
Lakshmi Narayan templeLakshmi Narayan templeLakshmi Narayan temple

One of the biggest Hindu temples in Delhi
which it bears some resemblance, but the opera is lovely only from distance). Inside the building it's not allowed to talk, we wondered whether it was because the acoustics was lousy. Anyway it does create a spiritual feeling inside. The garden outside is lovely, buy nothing even close to the Bahai place in Haifa.

The last place in the tour was Minar Qutub, a site with an impressive tower from red sandstone - it was nice.

In the afternoon we took an auto-rickshaw and went to Old Delhi. It's condensed, jammed, over crowded, but in a very different way than the ugly main bazaar area where we stayed. The main road is very wide, and even the side roads are wider than main bazaar and have sidewalks! It was lovely to see a road jammed 90% by cycle rickshaws...

And there is one really beautiful area in Delhi - the embassies avenue. We passed through with the tour, and all these embassies looked like castles or palaces, each one trying to be more impressive than the others. No poor people were seen around, no dirt and no mud. Was that really Delhi?


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Qutub MinarQutub Minar
Qutub Minar

The 72.5m high tower is old and impressive
Old DelhiOld Delhi
Old Delhi

The hustle and bustle of Old Delhi means also traffic jam of rickshaws!


4th October 2005

חוויות חוויות ועולם אחר..
4th October 2005

hip hop horey

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb