Sikkim................... My Land


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
April 17th 2007
Published: April 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SikkimSikkimSikkim

Map of Sikkim
Today I am going to write about my birth place "Sikkim". Sikkim is a small state in India. Most of the people don’t know about Sikkim. Some people even don’t know that Sikkim is a very state of India. Sikkim is an upcoming destination in the field of travel and tourism industry.

Today I would like to jot down about Sikkim and to bring out some fact that, why Sikkim is small but beautiful...................... Glimpses of sikkim.....................



SIKKIM
“Small but beautiful”




Fact File
Date of Formation : 16th May 1975.
Area : 7,096 sq km
Capital : Gangtok
Neighboring : West Bengal (state), China, Bhutan and Nepal (Counties)
Population : 54,851 lakh
Main Languages : Lepcha, Bhutia, Nepali and Hindi. Sometimes English.
Best Time to go : March to July and September to December.
Clothing : Summer : Light Woolens.
Winter : Heavy Woolens.
State Animal : Red Panda.
State Bird : Blood Pheasant.
State Flower : Dendrobeurm Nobil Orchid.
Local Cuisine : Momo, Thukpa, Nigro with churpi, Cheaw, Gundruk,
Sael Roti and Chang.
Local Handicrafts : Canvas Wall Hanging, Thankas, Carved Tables,
Carpets, Rags, Jewelleries etc.

Sikkim is situated
NatureNatureNature

Mountain
in the eastern Himalayas. Sandwitched between Nepal in the West, Bhutan in the East, Tibet in the North and West Bengal in the South. Spread below the Mount Khanchendzonga (8534 mts), the third highest mountain in the world, and revered by the Sikkimese as their protective deity. With an area of 7,300 sq kms and measuring approx. 114 kms from the north to south and 64 kms from east to west, the elevation ranges from 300 mts to over 8540 mts above sea level.

Amidst the grandeur of the mountain peaks, lush valleys, fast flowing rivers, hills, Sikkim offers her visitors a rare and singular experience. Within a matter of hours one can move from the sub tropical heat of the lower valleys to the cold of the rugged mountain slopes that reach up to the area of perpetual snow.

Sikkim is the 22nd state of India came into existence with effect from 26th April, 1975. Sikkim has been divided into four districts and each district has further been bifurcated into two sub-divisions for administrative purpose. Sikkim state being a part of inner mountain ranges of Himalayas is hilly having varied elevation ranging from 300 to 8540 meters.
NatureNatureNature

Kanchenjunga
But the habitable areas are only up to the altitude of 2100 mtrs. Constituting only 20% of the total area of the state. The highest portion of Sikkim lies in its North West direction.

A large number of mountains having altitudes of about seven thousand meters stands here with - Kanchenjunga (8598 m.), The third highest peak in the world. The high serrated, snow capped spurs and peaks of Kanchenjunga look attractive consisting of Kumbha Karna (7711 m.), Pendem (6706 m.), Narsingh (5825 m.), Kabru Dome (6545 m.), etc.

A number of glaciers descends from eastern slopes of Kanchenjunga into Sikkim where snow clad line is found above 5300 mtrs. The biggest of them is Zemu, from whose snout above Lachen monastery raises the river Teesta. Teesta is the main river and its main tributaries are Zemu, Lachung, Rangyong, Dikchu, Rongli, Rangpo and Rangit which form the main channel of drainage from the north to the south. It boasts of the great mount Kanchendzonga as its crown.

Ethically Sikkim has mainly three groups of people viz. Nepalis, Bhutias, Lepchas. The local language is Nepali. English is the official language. Gangtok is the capital of Sikkim. Situated in
PeoplePeoplePeople

nepali, Lepcha and Bhutia
the eastern part of Sikkim.
Wrapped in mists and clouds. A garden state with an incredible variety of orchids, rhododendrons, gladioli and a host of other flowers. Rustling, tumbling streams and torrents. Mountain monasteries and quaint shopping plazas. This is Sikkim.


THE PEOPLE - THEIR CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS

Communities, Cultures, Religions and Customs of different hues intermingle freely here in Sikkim to constitute a homogeneous blend. The predominant communities are the LEPCHAS, BHUTIAS and NEPALESE. In urban areas many plainsmen have also settled and they are almost engaged in business and Government service. Because of the development activities in the state, like the construction of roads, bridges and buildings a small part of the population consists of migrant labourers from the plains and Nepal.

LIFESTYLE

THE LEPCHAS

The original inhabitants of Sikkim are said to be Lepchas. They existed much before the Bhutias and Nepalese migrated to the state. Before adopting Buddhism or Christianity as their religion, the earliest Lepcha settlers were believers in the bone faith or mune faith. This faith was basically based on spirits, good and bad. They worshipped spirits of mountains, rivers and forests which was but natural for a tribe that co-existed so harmoniously with the rich natural surroundings. The Lepcha (Zongu) folklore is rich with stories. The Lepcha population is concentrated in the central part of the Sikkim. This is the area that encompasses the confluence of Lachen and Lachung rivers and Dickchu.
Life in a Lepcha dwelling is very simple. The male Lepcha wears a dress called a "pagi" made of cotton, which is stripped. The female Lepcha wear a two piece dress. The Lepchas speak the language Lepcha, although this language is not very well developed but is rich in vocabulary related to the flora & fauna of Sikkim. Lepchas are very good at archery. The polyandry marriages are permitted amongst the Lepchas.

THE BHUTIAS
These are the people of Tibetan origin. They migrated to Sikkim perhaps somewhere after the fifteenth century through the state of Sikkim. In Northen Sikkim, where they are the major inhabitants, they are known as the Lachenpas and Lachungpas. The language spoken by the bhutias is Sikkimese. Bhutia villages are as large as those compared to those of Lepchas. A Bhutia house called "Khin" is usually of rectangular shape.

The traditional dress of the male member is known as the "Bakhu" which is a loose cloak type garment with full sleeves. The ladies dress consists of a silken "Honju" which is a full sleeve blouse and a loose gown type garment. The ladies are very fond of heavy jewelry made of pure gold.

THE NEPALESE
The Nepalese appeared on the Sikkim scene much after the Lepchas & Bhutias. They migrated in large numbers and soon became the dominant community. The Nepalese now constitute more than 80 %!o(MISSING)f the total population. The Nepali settlers introduced the terraced system of cultivation. Cardamom was an important cash crop introduced by the Nepalis'. Except for the Sherpas & Tamangs who are Buddhists, the Nepalis' are orthodox Hindus with the usual cast system.

The Nepali language is spoken and understood all over the state. This language is similar to Hindi and uses the Devangri script. The traditional male nepali dress consists of long double breast garment flowing below the waist and a trouser known as "Daura Suruwal". The female dress consist of a double breasted garment with strings to tie on both the sides at four places, which is shorter than the Daura and is known as "Chow Bandi Choli". They also wear a shawl known as "Majetro". The "Khukri" which has become a synonym to the Nepali (Gurkha) culture, is a very sharp edged, angled, heavy weapon carried in a wooden or leather scabbard known as "Daab".

A GRACIOUS PEOPLE UNIQUE CULTURE
The people of Sikkim are warm, simple and friendly with a nature gaiety.
The customs and rituals of Sikkim are as diverse as the ethnic that inhabit the land ; the 'Lepchas' -- essentially children of the forest , the 'Bhutias' and the 'Nepalese' .
The people of sikkim love to celebrate. Be it the chasing away of the evil spirit or the celebrations on the occasion of the new year, the Sikkimese do it all with a gay abandon. And if you're fortunate you could persuade the Sikkimese to offer you ' chang' - a preparation from fermented millet. The drink is served to you in bamboo containers with a hollow bamboo pipe.
The Sikkimese culture finds expression in its beautiful arts and crafts. Carry back a memento of your holiday - be it an intricately carved piece of furniture (choktse), a highly embellished carpet or an artifact of woven bamboo.

FESTIVALS AND DANCES
DanceDanceDance

Mask Dance

Sikkim's famous Mask dances provide a spectacle, perhaps nowhere to be experienced in the entire world. Performed by lamas in the Gompa courtyard to celebrate religious festivals, these dances demonstrate perfect foot work and grace. Costumed Lamas with gaily painted masks, ceremonial swords and sparkling jewels, leap and swing to the rhythm of resounding drums, trumpeting of horns and chanting of monks. Saga Dawa is a very auspicious day for the Mahayana Buddhists. On this day people go to monasteries to offer butter lamps and worship. A huge procession of monks goes around Gangtok with Holy Scriptures.
Phang Lhabsol is a festival unique to Sikkim. It is celebrated to offer thanks to Mount Kanchendzonga, the guardian deity of Sikkim and to Yabdu the supreme commander.
Kagyat dance is performed every 28th and 29th day of the Tibetan calendar. The solemn nature of the dances is interspersed with comic relief provided by the jesters.
Dasain the biggest and most important festival of the Hindu-Nepali population is celebrated in September - October. It symbolizes the victory of good over evil.
Tyohar (Depavali) the festival of lights is celebrated 10 days after Dasain.

FLORA AND FAUNA
Because of the altitudes that vary
DanceDanceDance

Tamang Aslo
right from sea level to summits that touch the skies, the flora and fauna naturally covers a wide spectrum. Nowhere in the world in such a small area can one find flora and fauna of all varieties - Tropical to the Alpines. Sikkim's botanical and zoological richness is awe- inspiring, boasting of more than 4000 species of plants and 30%!o(MISSING)f all the birds found in the Indian sub-continent. No wonder Sikkim has been a dream of naturalists. Dr. J. Hooker during the middle of the last century surveyed in the detail the botanical wealth in Sikkim and his findings were embodied in the publication 'Himalayan Journal' that is still considered as an authoritative document. Dr. Salim Ali an ornithologist has given a detailed account on birds in his book 'The birds of Sikkim'. Besides these there are many books available on the flora & fauna of Sikkim.


Plants:
The lowlands in the south, 800'to 5000', experience a tropical climate; lush vegetation such as figs, laurel, Sal trees and bamboos have been cleared in some areas for farming. The temperate forest of oak, chestnut, maple, birch, alder, magnolia and silver fir dominates between 5000; and 13000. Above
DanceDanceDance

Bhutia Dance
13000, is the alpine zone where juniper, cypresses and rhododendrons grow. The perpetual snowline lies at 16000'. Luxuriant forests cover 36%!o(MISSING)f the land, more than 4000 species of plant have been recorded in Sikkim. Over 600 species of orchids grow in Sikkim, Epiphytal and terresterial types, in the tropical and temperate zones. 35 species of rhododendrons grow in temperate and alpine regions, their flowering from May to August colours hillsides.

Animals:
Amongst the mammals of Sikkim are the rare Snow Leopard, Himalayan Black Bear, Red panda, Musk Deer and Blue Sheep. Birdlife is abundant with Giant Lammergeier, Vultures, Eagles, Whistling Thursh, Minivets, Bulbuls and Pheasants among the 550 species to be seen in Sikkim.


MOUNTAINS
Sikkim has a very rugged topography and the flat lands are difficult to come by. The towering mountains that define this paradise of the nature also create a barrier to efficient agriculture.
The two mountain ranges are:
o Singilela: on the western boarder
o Chola: on the eastern boarder
these ranges form an almost impregnable barrier. On the western boarder lies the third highest mountain of the world Kanchendezonga, 28,168 ft. High. Other peaks that deserve mention are Siniolchu, Pandim, Narsing, Kabru, Pyramid Peak and Nepal Peak.
Through the center of sikkim runs another mountain ridge in the North to South direction. This mountain ridge separates the Teesta and Rangit valley and ends at the confluence of the two rivers. The peak of this ridge is Tendong above Damthang about 15 kms. away from Namchi.


GLACIERS
Glaciers are moving mountains of ice. There are many of these in Sikkim, but the most important ones are: Zemu Glacier, Rathong Glacier, Lonak Glacier in North Sikkim.


PASSES
The mountain ranges are interspersed with the passes which can be used to cross from one side to another. On the Eastern Chola range the most important passes are the Nathu La and Jelep La both at an altitude of about 15,0000 ft. and Bhutah La at an altitude of about 13,000 ft. The first two lead to Tibet and the third to Bhutan.
On the west boarder of Sikkim and Nepal, the most important pass is Chiwabhangjang, which has an altitude of 10,300 ft. The other passes on the west is Kang La. In the north one of the important passes is the Kongra La.

HOT SPRINGS
Sikkim
FlowersFlowersFlowers

Orchid
has many hot springs known for their medicinal value. The most important are the ones located at Reshi , Yumthang , Ralang .

RESHI HOT SPRING
These hot springs are located about 25 kms. from Gyalshing on the river rangit. The water of these springs has medicinal value as it contains sulphur and can cure some skin diseases.

YUMTHANG HOT SPRING
Yumthang is situated about 135 kms. from Gangtok in North Sikkim . It is well known for its hot springs. The route to Yumthang from Lachung has a very picturesque landscape and is lined with Rhododendrons. Yumthang falls in the restricted area.

LAKES
On the face of it, on would not expect to find lakes on such a rugged terrain. But surprisingly, Sikkim does have lakes though not very large in size. These lakes are both spring fed as well as river fed. On the highway between Gangtok and Nathu La, 34 kms. from Gangtok lies the serene Tsomgo Lake at an altitude of about 11,000 ft. . Khecheopalri Lake is another well known lake that lies on a bifurcation of the route between Gyalshing and Yuksum. Menmecho Lake, Green Lake and Samiti lake are
MountainMountainMountain

Kanchenjunga from Gangtok
some other beautiful lakes.

MONASTERIES
Sikkim's near about 200 monasteries or Gompas belonging to the Nyingma and Kagyu order have not only been influencing the cultural heritage and lifestyle of the people, but also demonstrates the ancient rituals in practice.

Devoted Lamas robed in red, chant ancient mantras to the rhythm of drums and trumpets while soft lights flicker from decorative lamps placed before statues of the great Guru Padmasambhava. Feel the peace and quiet of being one with nature and close to the almighty as sacred words mingle with the whirring prayer wheels.
The Gompas are adorned with life-like frescoes of hoary Buddhist legends, rare silk and brocade Thangkas. Also preserved here, are ancient Tibetan manuscripts, exquisitely carved wood work and icons of silver and gold.


RIVERS
One of the rivers that almost flow right across the length of Sikkim is the Teesta. It's major tributary is the Rangeet which originates from the Rathong Glacier, meets it at the border between Sikkim and West Bengal. Teesta originates from the Cholamu lake where it is hardly a stream. No one can imagine that this innocuous looking stream would transform into a thundering mighty river less
MountainMountainMountain

Mt. Pandim
than a hundred kilometers downstream.
During monsoons the otherwise innocuous looking rivers of Sikkim become swollen, swift, muddy and dangerous. The rivers are narrow, serpentine and full of rocks and hence are not navigable. Because of swift currents hitting rocks, the rivers are very noisy and can be heard for miles together. The Teesta finally joins the Bhramaputra in Bangladesh.
The rivers are fed by snow melting on the mountains as well as rain that accumulates in the catchments areas during the monsoons. Human settlements usually must exist above the level of rivers and hence even if flooding takes place life and property remain safe.

Sikkim has its own beauty. From above fact it is clear that is small but having all the resourses to attract any tourist world wide. Sikkim has not yet been popular because it has not yet advertised in a right way. Some few facts i want to jot down, which show how this small state is getting popularity and how people come to know about Sikkim.

Few Facts.............
1, Third highest mountain of the world - Khanchendzonga is in Sikkim.
2, Third highest bridge of Asia - Singshore Bridge is in Sikkim.
3,
LakeLakeLake

Changu Lake
World highest ATM services of UTI Bank - Thegu is in Sikkim.
4, First state to band Plastics and Gutkha - is Sikkim.
5, Crime free and Peaceful state is Sikkim.
6, Sikkim is rich in Flora and Fauna.
7, Sikkim promotes Eco-Tourism and Sustainable Tourism.
8, Cold Desert is found in Sikkim.
9, People are friendly and Helpfull in Sikkim.

This is my first attempt to write about my state Sikkim. Sikkim is so beautiful that no one can compare. So, explore the Sikkim as a Median destination.......... Please visit Sikkim once.
You will enjoy it..............

Thanking you

Rinzing Lama





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

LakeLake
Lake

Tsolhamu Lake


18th April 2007

photos
now the photps added make it really meaningful. keep writing with more details from all places in sikkim. put ur views on rural tourism and community involvement. also add related links on sikkim
18th April 2007

hi, buddy its good but u need to write in ur language,moreover u should start with history.keep on trying.......... good luck regards arun
22nd April 2007

Better then before
Dear Rinzing, Saw your modification and the latest addition of your blog and found it very charming with a lot of photographs. Since you are making all the efforts to make your blog better and beautiful, try and give the description in an unbookish manner.
23rd April 2007

You r in track
Hi.. this article shows u have improved a lot keep on doing make things posiible, which others feel impossible hats off

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb