Spooky awakenings


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
December 7th 2006
Published: December 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

As john has said, we're back in the bustle of Delhi and having a ball now that Ronan is back on his feet - thanks to everyone for their lovely comments and apologies for not being able to get around to answering everyone individually! Although we have access to the computer here in Delhi where we are staying with Tilly, Ian and Lewis its amazing how long it takes to wade throught the numerous work emails and rubbish that comes through! We have just planned our next adventure - leaving tomorrow morning by road to Bharatpur in Rajasthan. It has been fantastic to have the comfort and hospitality of the Marshall/Sellers flat.... not sure how we would have coped in the first few days if left to our own devices! Having spent a long time in Africa and some time in Sri Lanka i thought i was used to travel - but not with the reality of kids!! We are now slowly relaxing in to india though and able to enjoy the mayhem! Nothing could ever have prepared me for the dust and dirt though - and the huge dicotomy of street life! Filthy sidewalks with no thought to any form of cleanliness - cows and animals prowl freely and yet once you make your way into shops/restaurants/homes and bars - they are pristine! Totally bizarre - you have folk sweeping the streets continually but realisitically they spend the time moving piles of dirt and creating more dust!
Around Vasant Vihar (the district where we are staying) having a guard at your door seems to be more of a status symbol rather than a real indication of living in any fear of theft or other crime. during the night we are wakened by the eeriest of sounds - a guy walking very steadily up the street banging his bamboo cane very rhythmically - reason? To wake up the guards! it sounds really spooky and a bit like the grim reaper slowly progressing towards us. (I've been wondering - who wakes up the guy who wakes up the guy who wakes up the guards??). Once you've settled back to sleep you then get an early morning call from the many guys trundling around on their bikes selling their various wares - eggs, chairs, brooms - you name it and they're selling it but in order to get ones attention they have a really odd call - more of a wail - just another spooky awakening!! Heading off to one of the many ATM's to get some cash - first direct, being super vigilant blocked my card once they saw two transactions from Delhi - so much for having taken the time to inform all our banks of our travels!! Hey ho......

Advertisement



10th December 2006

helo
hello tha mi an dochas gu bheil turas dol gu math chan eil cuin agam turas mu dheireadh chunnic mi sibh ; D cum a sgriobhadh Ceiteag " U
14th December 2006

Hello Ronan!!
Hello Ronan, Hope you are better now and having great fun! We are missing you loads it's not the same without you. Love the pictures Hello and love to mum, dad and T.J.(and you too!)

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb