INDIA 2012


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi » Dwarka
January 19th 2012
Published: January 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Easy night flight London Delhi but not enough time for good shuteye so arrived redeye...best decision was not to hire a car - traffic horrendous and driving style to match. Arrived hotel Amarya Villa, south Delhi - quick cold splash and out and about seeing some of the sights of New Delhi. New Delhi is wide boulevards, whole layout planned by two British architects at the turn of last century - Lutyens and Baker - it is the administrative and policital centre of India and how lucky were we...... ....we just managed to be driving through town when we fell upon full regalia rehersals which were taking place for the 26th January - Republic Day. Mounted horses and camels and the largest military band any of us have ever seen or heard.

Everyone has heard of British Colonalism in India but nothing could have re-inforced it more than seeing the influence, listening to a military band, bagpipes and all, playing Abide With Me with Sergeant Major bellowing out commands. Wow.

We were not expecting much wildlife on our first DelhiDay - however some photos of urban fauna and our day today will follow tomorrow....

Advertisement



19th January 2012

Good One
20th January 2012

Luytens and Baker
Funny you should mention those two- have you heard of Bakers Waterloo. Try going to Viceroys pad and look at Childrens Room What did Lutyens do for this room. Get you back for those magic beans.Glad you are having a good time. xx
22nd January 2012

NAMASTE On vous embrasse bon voyage...

Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb