The Journey Begins...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
October 7th 2009
Published: October 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After an emotional yet enjoyable farewell we were off on our voyage across the world...DELHI bound!!!

8 hours later we arrived into a very hot delhi where we were greeted by our hotel pickup who risked his life and ours getting us to the hotel. Delhi is like no other place either of us has ever seen. The traffic is wild, cars, buses, tuk tuks, motorbikes, bikes, cows, dogs and monkeys all on the road and all going in (it seemed) different directions. Children washing on the side of the road next to running sewage and cows lying in the middle of the road creating a smell that gets stuck in the nostrils. Add to this the noise from all the beeping (and indians love to beep) and you get a picture of the sights and sounds and smells of delhi.

Our hotel was basic to say the least and was undergoing a lot of repairs/building work which added a dimension of dust to the delhi delights. But nonetheless it was in a prime location on the main bazaar and had a great rooftop cafe that served lovely indian thalis and more importantly Kingfisher beer. It was to become our sanctuary from the hectic streets where we were the only white kids in town.

Although the hassle was immense, especially on the main bazaar we did manage to enjoy delhi also. We saw India Gate (an indian Arc De Triumph), Gandhi's memorial, the Red Fort and an impromptu carnival along a busy main street. We sampled some brilliant street food (samosas and jelibis being the best) and had some great experiences eating at local restaurants on the side of streets where we were a source of amusement to the other diners watching us trying to eat curry and rice with one hand!!

The heat was oppressive and really did limit what could be done in the day...we werent going to be walking around at midday like day one again. Even the evenings were majorly hot and having a room with no aircon made sleeping (even for experts like us) tricky. But we were in for the long run and werent going to pay the extra 200rs (3pounds) for an a/c.

So with a bit of haggle we booked our train tickets to Agra and from there to Varanasi where the Taj and the burning ghats waited respectively. 5 days was by then more than enough time in delhi and with lewi suffering from a coughy bug we were ready to catch the 6am train to agra.





Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



7th October 2009

Wow!! Sounds really good :)
8th October 2009

Who writes here ?
HI HannahMurphy . Welcome to India . Hope U have a nice time . Can you tell me who writes in this journal ? Hannah or Murphy ? Just curious.
8th October 2009

woo hoo
Lew and Han, Good to finally hear something. You need to make sure you stay out in the heat. Remember my mission which you chose to accept. xxx
8th October 2009

Awesome
Hi Guys! Wow - sounds awesome - I struggle to be noble but fail in my blatant jealousy about what you are doing. It sounds like a slap in the face that hurts at first, then you kind of warm to the stingy sensation! I hope stage 2 is as eventful as stage 1 - loved reading your story - looking forward to the next update. Lots of Love as always.
10th October 2009

Fantastic
Looks like a cracking start to your journey. What's with the 'leaning tower of literature'? Keep the updates coming :)

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb