Day 2 - Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
December 23rd 2008
Published: December 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

So far, none of us have the so-called "Delhi Belly" and are doing very well eating Indian food nonstop.

We drove past India Gate, Parliament and the Presidential palace on the way to Old Delhi for our exciting rickshaw ride (bicycle taxi) through the narrow & bustling streets. Each street in the crowded market is devoted to a different theme - weddings, books, saris, fruit, etc. After the market, we visited some of the historical sites from the Mughal reign - Friday Mosque (1650), Humayun’s Tomb - Delhi’s Taj Majal(1560), and Red Fort. Liz’s blond hair was a big hit with the school boys visiting Humayun’s Tomb from the countryside- they followed her in a pack, asking if they could take her picture and generally staring. Then we headed to a beautiful park to visit Gandhi’s tomb where the younger school children asked if they could be in our photos.

We continue to be impressed with how skillfully our driver can navigate narrow streets, impossible roundabouts and crowded highways with no lanes.

We stopped at the Imperial Hotel for lunch. Built in 1931 as the most luxurious hotel in New Delhi, it is a beautiful example of colonial design. The sag paneer & butter masala chicken at restaurant 1911 (year that the British moved the capital from Calcutta to Delhi) were amazing. We headed out of the city to see Qutub Minar (1193), the world’s tallest brick minaret (a tower used for the call to prayer).
Today we leave for Agra to visit the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort.

- Stephanie


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb