Day 7 - Taj Mahal and travel to Delhi.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
May 1st 2023
Published: May 1st 2023
Edit Blog Post

Very early start today at 6am for our visit to Taj Mahal. Supposedly for sunrise but it wasn't really. Sunrise was earlier than that and it was very overcast today so it wouldn't have been worth it to go any earlier.

The complex is quite large and the building is in a large courtyard with 4 gates. Our first glimpse of the Taj Mahal was quite surreal as it almost blended in to the surrounding early morning mist. Arjun sold us on using one of the accredited photographers who followed us in and posed us for photos in the best spots. It was quite amusing as we felt like we were posing for wedding photos. It really is a stunning building to see, being completely made of white marble. Inside, it is decorated in a simpler manner and there are replicas of the King and Queen's tombs. We had plenty of free time for photos etc. and met Arjun back the entry/exit at 8.30am. Took a trolley car back to the car park and then back to the hotel for breakfast.

It was decided to meet back in the lobby for checkout at 9.45am. First stop was a marble factory, specialising in stone inlay work. Very skilful and beautiful but nothing that we needed. Gordon and Robyn bought some items.

Next stop was a general merchandise store and we bought our usual magnet souvenir. Daisy looked at some clothing but didn't buy anything, but the jewellery section was another matter. She found a Ruby ring with 4 small diamonds and the cost was $AUD2,000. She said no and the price went down to $1800 and then $1600. She still said no so the salesman asked her what she was prepared to pay. She didn't want to offer anything as she knew it would be too low. so Gordon came up and said $1200. Of course, they couldn't do that so we walked away. Arjun then spoke to him and got them down to $1400, so she decided to buy it. Everyone had purchased something, so off we went to another restaurant for lunch.

We were then on our way back to Delhi along a main highway, stopping once for a rest room break.

Got back to Delhi around 8pm, checked-in and bade farewell to Arjun and Arjay. The Trip-a-deal notes said to pay 300INR per day per person and it would cover guide and driver, but Arjun said that 300INR for both was appropriate, but we were happy to do that because they have both been excellent.

We all quickly went to our rooms and met downstairs for our final dinner with Anne and Robyn, as they were unable to add on the Varanasi extension at late notice. I am sure we will catch up with them again in the future.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb