Mumbai - our last stop


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
March 21st 2010
Published: February 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Mumbai on the night train from Goa. Due at 5:50am, it pulled in to CST about 7:30 - not bad by Indian standards!

We were pretty tired after a long night in a not very comfortable 2nd class non-A/C sleeper, with the Indian lads in the next compartment, as they inevitably do when they use a form of transport with the word 'sleeper' in it, playing loud Bollywood music for most of the night, and then having to shout to each other to make themselves heard. So we were not in any mood for playing games with taxi drivers.

'How much to Colaba?'

'200 rupees'.

'No, that's just silly. 70 rupees tops'.

'100 rupees - fixed price'

'Yeah, like 200 rupees was fixed price 5 seconds ago. 70 rupees.'

'No'

We climbed in, and I told him to take us to the police station.

'What for?'

'They can decide whether you should be ripping us off. Otherwise, Colaba, on the meter'

Much muttering and grumbling, but he switched on his meter (which in Mumbai involves getting out of the cab and walking round the front to the other side, because the meter is outside!)

A short drive later, we were at Hotel Cowies, and I paid the still grumbling driver the 50 rupees metered cost.

Advertisement



5th February 2011

Whoops
Just noticed I never published this!

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb