Mumbai


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
January 4th 2010
Published: January 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: India, home of Karma 27 secs
Trains  that workTrains  that workTrains that work

We'll miss the trains- wide, spacious and lots of chance to chat to the locals.
Last stop before home, Mumbai has much more a feel of a capital city than Delhi. No tuk-tuks (the video was taken earlier), big roads, majestic buildings and a real business air about it. A bit morbid, but we can't ignore the sights of the Mumbai attack a year ago. Leopold's cafe is still a tourist hangout, and a bullet-holed window is still to be seen. Amazingly the big railway station, reputed to be the biggest in Asia, is without any real security at all.

Nevertheless, we've always felt safe in India, wherever we wandered, whatever the time of day- and you certainly can't say that about the South American countries visited in 2006.

Sad to leave this wonderful country, a truly amazing place for many resaons, most of all the people themselves, but it needs some rest from us now, I think.

More pics added after arriving home, just doing a quick update here in the transit lounge in Istanbul. (Thanks again to Turkish Airline, impressively organised and actually some good food.)

Bye, bye for now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

India  GateIndia  Gate
India Gate

Scene of the terrorist attack in Nov 2008. They call it 26/11 here.
Buyer bewareBuyer beware
Buyer beware

What better souvenir to take home - having found a very cheap underwear shop, this customer is blissfully unaware that they are incompatible with his purchase of a dozen dhotis the day before. Look out for the Ebay sale.
Cricket on Sunday afternoonCricket on Sunday afternoon
Cricket on Sunday afternoon

What better way to spend the afternoon than at the Maidan Oval.
PurityPurity
Purity

Another sacred site, and the fervent believers are at peace.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb