A Silence fell over Meherabad


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Meherabad
July 10th 2008
Published: July 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well not much to say today, literally! Today is silence day where no one talks in honor of the day the day that Meher Baba stopped speaking and remained silent for the last 44 years of his life. The only sounds are cars, birds and the occasional squeak of my hiccups (they have no reverence the silly things).
Yesterday I toured the organic farm and women's cooperative store run by an NGO called Prithvi. It was really incredible. They use cow manure for fertilizer and urine for pesticides. They grow medicinal herbs, coconuts, mangos, papayas, dhal, and other Indian staples. It was really nice to walk around the 6 acre farm and learn about all the details of organic farming. At the women’s coop store I bought grocery bags made from old saris for rs 10 a piece! That is like a quarter! They are the first things that the ladies learn to sew before making more complex goods.
That night since it was the last night that my new Iranian friends would be in Meherabad (they had to go back to Pune to take English exams for their MBA's) we went out to eat at the Yash Palace. It was quite a treat to dine on the flesh of animals. Plus there was the added bonus of mango ice cream. I hope they have Mango rehab in the states because I am absolutely in love!
My plans for the future, not like getting married and having kids future the one a bit closer, are to go to Pune on the 14th of July, take a plane to New Delhi on the 15th, take a plane to Leh, Ladahk ( an area of Kashmir and Jammu near Tibet) on the 16th. Stay there until the 21st or so then take the bus to Dharmshala and tutor monks in English.
Sorry I didn’t have much to say but I do have pictures! These are mostly from Ajanta caves and past trips to Pune, in fact you will probably have to go 2 or 3 posts back to understand what these are pictures of.


PS. These paragraphs are dedicated to Neal Phelps who even in conversational writing demands proper grammar. It says something about us 😉




Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



10th July 2008

Meher Baba...
Great photos of the Caves.....Jai Baba from Myrtle Beach
10th July 2008

Well, I wasn't going to say anything,
But I'm happy that SOMEBODY demanded proper grammar! Sounds like you have a pretty busy schedule for the next week, with a lot of flying... good luck!
10th July 2008

Ajanta Cave pictures
The pictures of the Ajanta caves were really nice. Paragraphs look good too. :) I am glad that your trip is going so well.
12th July 2008

Beautiful!!!! The kids look so sweet:) Looks like you are settling in!
12th July 2008

wow!
those pictures are friggin awesome!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb