Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Periyar National Park
December 8th 2006
Published: January 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Periyar Wildlife SanctuaryPeriyar Wildlife SanctuaryPeriyar Wildlife Sanctuary

early morning trip to the sanctuary
Very little sleep last night. It was hard getting up. Our jeep was waiting for us up on the road, and the three of us got in. I, stupidly, forget my sweatshirt, and in the open-air jeep, got very cold. We huddled in the back as we bounced down the roads.

By the time we got to the park gates it was already getting light out (about 7am) and there were a few other jeeps as well. We started driving into the sanctuary and our driver was really good at looking out for things to see, and turning his engine off to be quiet -- and just coasting. We stopped to see an elephant, but it was really far away and mostly hidden. You could just barely make out that there was movement in the shrubbery. But we heard it trumpet, which was really exciting, and felt like a good start to the day. We also stopped to see some Giant Squirrels. They are like squirrels, only really big. Also in the distance we could see black monkeys swinging around, but not very well. We were feeling excited and good. We got to this little visitor centre area and were taken down by the lake to have breakfast. They had a traditional Indian breakfast buffet for everyone. There were a few different things to try: idlis, sambar, coconut chutney, eggs, pineapples and bananas, and a coconut-banana dish that was very sweet. It was fun to try.

After breakfast we started on our 3-hour trek through the jungle. The sanctuary is beautiful. But for all our walking, we only saw a few cows and birds. We hiked up to the top of a waterfall (where we could see the pool of water that went down the steep rocks), saw some banyan trees, lots of fields and hills, and just gorgeous surroundings. I managed to get my right shoe wet in some muddy water, and my left foot stuck in the bed (in which my shoe came off and Nick had to pick it out for me). Oh! and I got so tired near the end that I fell down once too :P I'm so clumsy. We had to wear leech socks just in case of leeches in the wetter areas, but none of those were to be found either.
It got hot and I got really tired, and at the
Periyar Wildlife SanctuaryPeriyar Wildlife SanctuaryPeriyar Wildlife Sanctuary

the lake and visitor centre area
end we had to climb up this really giant hill. I'm going to be sore tomorrow I think.

We came back for lunch -- another assortment of things to try. I really enjoyed the dhal and the chipati. Very filling and good. Following lunch we got a boat ride on the lake. No animals seen, but we did to to see a waterfall, which was cool.

When we got back from the boat ride, I think we were all feeling a bit disappointed in the lack of animals (which is how everyone we talked to told us they had felt afterwards). We decided to head out, and left around 3:30pm. I wasn't feeling very optimistic about seeing anything on the way out, but our driver was looking anyway. An autorickshaw passed and seemed to be telling the driver where something was to look at --- and then he started driving fast (so I though elephants!!)
After a bit he slowed and found what we were hoping for.....ELEPHANTS!! There were two of them bathing, but they were kind of hard to see (they were down a hill a bit, so you could only really see the top of them).
Leech Socks!Leech Socks!Leech Socks!

we were totally stylin'
After a few minutes we drove around on the road a bit, trying for a better view....when we came upon more elephants! They were all bathing and eating and we could see them great. There were about 8 or 9, and there were some babies!! They were so cute. It was amazing to watch them so closely and in the wild. It was amazing and mesmerizing being close by and just admiring them. We had to stay in the jeeps because of the babies being present, and not wanting to upset the parents. We watched as some crosse the road behind us and eventually the others finished what they were doing and walked back into the forest. It was thrilling to see.

As we kept on going on the road out, we saw some bison, an eagle and black monkeys. The monkeys were cute and had super long tails. The day ended up being a huge success. I'm so happy we came here. The three of us were giddy all the way back. Children on the streets saw us driving by and all waved and yelled hello -- and we waved and yelled hello back. Such a good day.
Periyar Wildlife SanctuaryPeriyar Wildlife SanctuaryPeriyar Wildlife Sanctuary

pools of water at the top of a waterfall.


We went for dinner at the Jungle Cafe again, got lots of the Chef's Special B (beeeer). We hung out until closing and then headed back to Nick's and stayed there until midnight. I desperately needed a shower after the day we had, so I went in and couldn't figure out the hot water, so I took a freezing cold shower. Now I'm clean, but cold. And the nights here are cold, so I'm not warming up.

Tomorrow is our last day and night here. I've had such a good time. But I'm excited to see the backwaters too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Periyar Wildlife SanctuaryPeriyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary

Adam sitting at the top of the waterfall.
Periyar Wildlife SanctuaryPeriyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary

Us at a waterfall.
Periyar Wildlife SanctuaryPeriyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary

Elephant crossing the road behind us.
Periyar Wildlife SanctuaryPeriyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary

Elephants bathing.


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb