Getting to Kumily


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Periyar National Park
December 6th 2006
Published: January 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

KumilyKumilyKumily

Our tiny little tree house!

Today was another long day of traveling. We got up at 6am and got ready to leave. We decided to find our own way to the bus station and walked there. When we arrived we got some help on which bus to take. People were really nice on telling us where to wait and what bus to get on. We bought a pineapple cake to munch on when we got hungry on the trip. Our bus was one of the more beat-up ones you see driving around. It was warm out, but luckily the windows were open to provide a breeze.

It was a long trip (8.5 hours) and my butt hurt a lot -- it was very bumpy and twisty going up the mountain. But it's beautiful here, so it was worth it. The drive was gorgeous -- palm trees and green everywhere. We drove up and into this mountain (it was a bit scary looking out the bus window and seeing over the edge -- especially with the way the driver was driving the bus).

We jumped off the bus in Kumily and started walking....in the wrong direction. Adam asked for directions and off we were
KumilyKumilyKumily

View of the sanctuary from the Coffee Inn's little watch tower.
again, though in the right way. Lot's of guys passed us on bikes and autorickshaws trying to get us to stay at their places, but we finally reached our destination: The Coffee Inn. It's really nice here. Down off the road a bit, and on the border of the park. It's quiet too, which is a nice change from hearing the street traffic up north. We are staying in a tree house, which is fun 😊 It's pretty small, but cute. We have a seperate, shared shower and (squatter) toilet.

We went to check-in and took a seat outside where this British guy, Nick, joined us. We hung out talking and snacking (got a sweet lassi to share, they're really good and interesting) and eventually moved to the restaurant next door for dinner: The Jungle Cafe.

They took us down to this open, tent-like eating area. It was very nice and peaceful. We got some chicken curry and chicken fry, and lots of beer (served discretely in coffee mugs). We stayed a long time drinking, talking, looking at the stars. We even saw (and heard) a barking deer in the sanctuary. The manager of the restaurant got out his flashlight and shined it into the darkness where we saw eyes staring back at us.

After dinner we hung out at Nick's cottage (he has a little porch on the front of his place), drank some whiskey and listened to his I-pod on mini-speakers. It was a fun evening. We headed off to bed at midnight (so late for us!)



Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb