Kerela and the Hill Station


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kollam
March 14th 2008
Published: March 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Faces of the Backwaters.Faces of the Backwaters.Faces of the Backwaters.

The children of the backwaters are always smiling.
Our journey has been nothing short of amazing and it keeps getting better. Every time we think that we've seen "the most incredible place" we come across another one.

The "Backwaters of Kerela" was a very tranquil and serene way to unwind from the hustle and bustle of Kochi. Travelling on the canals we saw a way of life that is totally alien from anything that we've ever experienced. We stayed with a local family in their home. They prepared us a lovely meal and then proudly showed off their area on a twilight boat ride in a 250 year old dugout canoe.

The next morning we took a bus up a winding road to the magnificent tea plantations up in the hills. Tea, coffee and numerous spices covered the hills as far as the eye could see. Finally ending up in Periyar "the home of Auryvedic massage". We just couldn't resist the temptation and we each had a aromatherapy massage. Perfect after a long day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Backwaters of KerelaBackwaters of Kerela
Backwaters of Kerela

This is how life should be.
Fishing nets at Fort KochiFishing nets at Fort Kochi
Fishing nets at Fort Kochi

Dawn at the Chinese fishing nets in Fort Kochi.
Temple in the middle of town.Temple in the middle of town.
Temple in the middle of town.

Amongst the chaos of a busy city, the temples are a quiet sanctuary.
Tea picker at work.Tea picker at work.
Tea picker at work.

They were short of pickers so Lesley decided to help. Payment was a cuppa chai (tea).
Sunset in Kerela.Sunset in Kerela.
Sunset in Kerela.

We were riding in a 250 year old canoe at sunset. The paddler was singing ancient folk songs. Paradise.
Monkey business.Monkey business.
Monkey business.

This little fellow was at our window, trying to steal our luggage. Cheeky little monkey.
Home stay on the backwaters.Home stay on the backwaters.
Home stay on the backwaters.

This is outside the house that we stayed at on the backwaters.


14th March 2008

Thanks for the blog guys! The time I take to read your entries makes me travel arm chair style! I feel like I've taken time to relax too. It is always nice to discover the hidden corners of the world isn't it? How was the home cooked food? Continue the fun!
14th March 2008

Hockey?
I can see you're having a great time and thanks for the update. I thought you'd want to know the Hound Dogs are 1 and 0 after the first playoff game. The gang says HEY!xxooMG
14th March 2008

Hello from Mum
thank you for all the mail.I'm glad your having a good time,the weather has been awful.Went out with gisele nd George.Karine and Mark yesterday. Zed and I are well.keepyour mail comming .appreciated.Keep well. love Mum.
15th March 2008

Hey punjabbe tea picker sister.....keep the pictures coming.
17th March 2008

hi
Your house if fine, your plants are fine, the mail is fine, our weather has been not so fine, glad to see you in shorts. Have fun, be safe. Leona
20th March 2009

it,s Amazing.
hai Really i want to say Thank's for U,lbecause U updated good and Wonderful photos of Kerela. the sunset photos are really good. and im the fan of kerela cultural activities.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb