Suprisingly it all went quite smooth


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
February 7th 2010
Published: February 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Got a rickshaw to the train station and managed to buy tickets to Kochi with relative ease. We even managed to find the right platform, get on the right carriage and find a seat 😊 It was really warm in the train, the situation not helped by 9 of us being in a seated area meant for 6 with only a couple of flimsy fans preventing us from turning into pools of liquid! The train ride was just under 3hrs. Next we had to get yet another rickshaw to the jetty where the queue for ferry tickets seemed huuuge. Luckily in this situation being a woman pays off as they have a separate queue for women and it was about a tenth of the size of the men's 😊 so we got our tickets virtually straight away and got straight onto the boat.

It only took about 15mins to get over to Fort Cochin. We decided to walk to the main area as it wasn't far. Unfortunately some guy who'd given us the card for his homestay on the ferry started stalking us! He basically followed us on his bike all the way from the port to the main street. In the end I asked him politely to leave us alone and he did straight away. We were also stalked by a rickshaw, they're quite persistant here and don't seem to take no for an answer! You need to get a little shirty which I don't really like doing but I'm having to get more used to it.

The first couple of places we tried were fully booked and one of them we looked at smelled of sick and they were trying to charge 800Rs for it! Luckily the next one for 600 was much better. It has a little cafe downstairs, internet, a bakery and even a little rooftop restaurant. After dumping our very heavy bags (our backs were owie) we went for a wander around town and ended up in a lovely restaurant, Dal Roti, which serves North Indian food. After indulging in veg curries, rice and a lachcha paratha each (which are really yummy, like bread made out of sausage roll pastry!) we walked down to see the chinese fishing nets at sunset. It was quite a popular place with lots of stalls selling fresh fish. We wandered along spotting 2 gorgeous kittens on the way and sat on the rocks for half an hour or so watching the sunset. Fort Cochin is quite a quain place, like a little English village filled with cafes, restaurants and guesthouses http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/81467930_c68ac262bc.jpg (as we still can't yet get our pics on I'm resorting to stealing other peoples!)

We ended our night at an internet cafe trying to get blogs updated 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0887s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb