Kerala (Varkala - Kerala Backwaters - Kochi)


Advertisement
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
December 18th 2008
Published: December 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After experiencing our first Indian overnight train (a surprisingly ok sleep, though as cleanliness was extremely questionable, we may have contracted some diseases) we arrived in Varkala which is in the state of Kerala. Interestingly, Kerala has one of the highest literacy rates in a 3rd world country with 97% of the population literate. Kerala is also very tropical, humid and hot... we have yet ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




21st December 2008

Still Jealous
Don't know if my last comment went through as I can't see it on your blog yet, but rest assured I am still reading and fascinated so keep up the good work. The colour of Indian is arguably the most breath-taking yet, the contrasting tones perhaps only rivalled by Africa. I am also glad to hear that you've haven't forgotten to wear your alcoholism like a badge of honour. Keep "sampling" all that local flavour (Toddy and all).
24th December 2008

Apparently I have to review the comments before they are posted, so keep them coming. The colours of India are amazing, and the whole place is a contrast between extreme beauty and extreme ugliness. Anyway, Merry Christmas! Try not to miss me too much. Kate
7th January 2010

info on staying w locals??
I enjoyed reading your write up on your travels through Kerala: just got the page on Varkkala - Kerala Backwaters - Kochi. But that was perfect, as it is exactly what I am considering, too! But I had chosen Varkkala because it is supposed to be secluded, quiet, out of the tourist route. And from what you describe, it seems it is quite noisy and touristy? Also, I read elsewhere that the waters are not the best for easy, relaxed swimming ... Is it true that the waves are quite strong and big? Is there another beach you would recommend that would be secluded, quiet, out of the tourist route and with easy swimming? Hmm, and Iyengar yoga, and scuba ... But most importantly, from what I read, it seems you have stayed with locals. Could you please tell me how you contacted them? For I went to a "hoome-stay" page, and it turned out to be expensive hotels! Info on student hostels is also welcome ... Thank you very much and best wishes on your travels! By the way, in Karnataka state you can get wonderful early-bird yoga classes for free, as there is a network all over the state providing them. In Mysore one place is in a temple only a few blocks from the Palace.
7th January 2010

PS
PS info on the backwaters, Kochi, and other places in Kerala is welcome, too! I'll be in Coimbatore in mid January to March, if you want to drop by.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb