Exploring Fort Kochi, Kerala


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
December 21st 2007
Published: December 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Chinese nets in Fort KochiChinese nets in Fort KochiChinese nets in Fort Kochi

These nets are used with the tide to catch fish; fishing is better during the monsoon season, the fisherman said.
Ancient Chinese fishing nets at the Fort Kochi beach are still in use; they use long arching tree trunks, nets, and counterweights to scoop up whatever fish come into the nets. We saw mostly small fish, but large boats were bringing in larger fish (red snapper, kingfish, baby sharks), large prawns and spiny lobsters. Smaller boats used nets to catch small fish, which were plucked from the nets on the beach. Cats prowled the beach for fumbles, and the ubiquitous Indian crows were flying overhead.

Some of the fish were "auctioned" off directly in small batches; others were sold to restaurants or individuals.

Fort Kochi is an interesting blend of cultures-- Muslim, Christian, Hindu, etc. I can hear the Muslim prayers as I enter this post. Yesterday was a major Muslim holiday marking the end of the Haj; our homestay proprietor is having us for dinner with his family tonight, after the holiday yesterday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Auctioning the  catchAuctioning the  catch
Auctioning the catch

Small piles of fish and prawns were auctioned off to local buyers; both small resellers (they went through the streets with a bucket of fish on a bicycle) or directly to small restaurants.
Selling chaiSelling chai
Selling chai

His chai bicycle stand was popular with the fisherman; he served it up hot in small plastic cups.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb