Alleppey house boat cruise


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Alleppey
August 11th 2018
Published: August 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

After a local breakfast of dosa we checked out of our room early and headed off with our tuk tuk driver. This drive was even more ridiculous than yesterday’s - he met a man on a motorbike we had to follow down narrow dirt tracks to the point we had to get out and walk! Fortunately we soon came across the water and after climbing through other houseboats we reached ours.

She was perfect in our eyes - clean and tidy. A lovely sitting and dining area at the front, an upstairs with seats and matts to lie on, and a small double bedroom with reasonable sheets and a bathroom that was passable as long as you didn’t look too closely or try and have a shower...

We set off on our cruise just before midday. It was incredibly peaceful sitting on a boat watching the world go by. Sadly many of the houses were flooded or at risk of flooding and it seemed a little wrong to be enjoying ourselves whilst others were sandbagging up their properties.

Lunch was amazing - we had local fish and enough food to feed at least 4 people. The sun came
Alleppey backwaters cruiseAlleppey backwaters cruiseAlleppey backwaters cruise

Some of the many other boats
out and the upstairs area was private enough that I could wear my shorts for a change. We were served an afternoon tea of banana fritters and tea before stopping at a local fish market to pick dinner.

We ended up buying the biggest prawns we have ever seen, they were bigger than my hands! They were also very expensive so I decided to use it as an excuse to dress up for dinner. They were delicious - our chef did an amazing job, and yet again provided more food than we could possibly eat. A fantastic day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Alleppey backwaters cruiseAlleppey backwaters cruise
Alleppey backwaters cruise

Preparing for launch
Alleppey backwaters cruiseAlleppey backwaters cruise
Alleppey backwaters cruise

Enjoying the view over the back of the boat
Alleppey backwaters cruiseAlleppey backwaters cruise
Alleppey backwaters cruise

A dog enjoying his cruise
Alleppey backwaters cruiseAlleppey backwaters cruise
Alleppey backwaters cruise

Giant prawns for dinner


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb