Driving in India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka
September 14th 2008
Published: September 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

LAURIE Driving from Auroville to Mysore was pretty amazing. Well we weren't driving. We took a taxi with a driver who was pretty good. Driving is not for the faint hearted. You can't be polite you just push a head and slip through the gaps. Honking your horn all the way.
It was beautiful going from the coastal plains up to the Deccan Plateau through granite hill country. We even had very short stretches where there wasn't a village or a person to be seen. We stopped at Tiruvanamalai to look at the Hindu temple there but Kym and I were not impressed. Overly ornate. I was more impressed with the fort at Gingee but we didn't stop.

Going through Bangalore was amazing. First signs of the Booming India with massive highway flyovers and big glass buildings being built. But on the road chaos with gridlock traffic and roads being dug up and diversions leading to nowhere. The driver did very well to keep asking directions and finding the way through so we got to Mysore before dark. In all it took us 12hrs. We got a bigger car, almost a people mover so we would be comfortable.

We are staying at the Green Hotel and old palace and movie set. Now an environmentally aware hotel with profits going to charity. A bit expensive but very elegant except their internet is not working. So I'm sitting in a very basic Internet Cafe catching up.

JASMINE
I have a different impression of our travels from Auroville to Mysore-- I thought that there was considerable areas of agricultural land, with not as many villages as I would have expected. the temple at Tiruvanmalai was amazing - to shiva and parvarti. Huge carved structures, also in commemoration of the nearby hill. there was not too many people there which was good for us. There was a drum player and flute/clarinet player with various reeds - wonderful sound.
Kym was not impressed because we left our shoes outside and his disappeared. He had worn the socks for some days and was attached to them. Luckily it was his old shoes but a reminder to be more aware. We realised that we should have put them into the shoe lockers but didn't see that on the way in. It is rather overwhelming because of people demanding a donation; and it makes us feel awkward. We did buy flowers but then got told off for not buying enough for both Shiva and Parvati. The flowers are wonderful and we watched these garlands being made in the market. Marigolds, roses and some other yellow flowers - smells great and I am going to take to have jasmine flowers in my hair. Also went to ashram of Ramana M - very peaceful with a huge well.
The other aspect of travel is FOOD-- we seem to spend a lot of time eating. We are not losing weight but will need to do some more exercise to compensate for the food sessions. Loving the veg indian food and I particular like the south Indian breakfast with iddly - a type of poached rice and garm cake and also vala (spellling?) which is a donut of chick pea flour and yum.
The Green hotel is interesting and the staff very proud of their work. Will find out more.....Have just visited the YHA which is much simpler - will we stay there? Hope to organise some trekking but think it will be considerably different than trekking in Nepal. Indian govt is very restrictive about maps.
Talk later, J

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb