Mysore - yet another national holiday!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Mysore
August 17th 2018
Published: August 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Railway museumRailway museumRailway museum

Stephen attempting to climb in the water tender...
Today is our last day in Mysore before heading over to Hampi for the next few days. It has been a leisurely day of admin and getting food for the journey.

We decided to go and see the Railway Museum this morning and got a tuk tuk over there. Despite being another bank holiday this time it was open - thank goodness. Once again it was much cheaper for locals than for us but at 80 rupees each it was probably still worth it. Most of the description signs aren’t completed and the little train thats supposed to go around a small track isn’t working. I think it’s aimed at kids but looks like a health and safety nightmare to me if you have little ones. It’s great for big kids though!

It has examples of steam, diesel and electric trains and you can climb into and onto most of them. Lots of the handles and levers still work. Having Stephen there explaining how they all work made it much more interesting for me.

They also have the old Maharajahs private carriages (sleeping & dining - the day saloon is in Delhi).

As it was our last day we decided it would be wrong to go anywhere except for Muralis for lunch....

After lunch we tried to see the zoological gardens as the silk factory was shut for the bank holiday. The gardens were unfortunately shut as well.

Instead it’s time to catch our train to Hospete from where we travel to Hampi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Railway museumRailway museum
Railway museum

Train going far too fast for Elizabeth


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb