Mangalore to Gokarna


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Mangalore
November 18th 2099
Published: December 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 - Waking bright and early in Cochi we gathered our belongings and headed to the boat jetty to catch a ferry back to Ernakulam (the mainland). Departing the boat we took a rickshaw to the train station to board the train and embark on an 8-9 hour journey headed north to Mangalore. Once aboard and in our reserved seats/sleepers, we watched as 100's of people piled onto the train station after station which made for a very hot and uncomfortable journey. It was at this point we decided never to purchase over-priced reserved tickets for a day train due to the fact that the locals, having hold only general tickets, just sat wherever they liked including our seats (7 people squeezed onto 2 seats)! Finally as the train rolled into Mangalore around 10pm we grabbed a rickshaw and headed into the city in search of a place to lay our heads. With the hotel scene very expensive by backpacker standards, the cheapest room we could find was 600 rupees/night (over 3x more than we usually pay)!

Day 2 - Waking and heading out in search of breakfast, we were delighted to find a room for 2/3 of the price we were already paying so we agreed to come back later. With not a great deal to see in Mangalore we wandered aimlessly from modern shopping malls to ancient bazaars and churches, picking up a few bargains along the way. With the sun setting we headed for some delcicious chicken tikka masala before heading back to our new room for rum, t.v and bag packing ready to leave the next morning.

Day 3 - Sleeping in late due to the bottle of rum we drank the night before, we headed for an afternoon breakfast before checking out and taking a rickshaw to the station where we bought general class tickets to Gokarna (7 hour journey, 2 people = 2 english pounds - BARGAIN). Aboard the sleeper carriage we found oursleves being moved from seat to seat by those who had reserved, eventually finding refuge when a local man offered to share his seat with us lost souls. As the train rolled into Golarna Rd station (9km from Gokarna town) we bypassed the rickshaw drivers (who were insistent there was no bus) and boarded the bus which was to take 15 minutes to town for just 25 rupees/person. Arriving in town we wandered about in search of a cheap guesthouse. After about 30 minutes of unsuccessful searching we collapsed on the floor to gather our lost energy when luck came our way ..... an eccentric scottish woman who pointed us in the direction of a lovely, cheap place to lay our heads - a big room with attached bathroom all for just 200 rupees - SCORE!

Day 4 - Waking around midday we decided to make a 20 minute trip on foot (in baking heat) over the headland to Kudle Beach (1 of 4 of Gokarnas beautiful beaches) to check out the available accomodation options. Satisfied with our findings we decided to leave Gokarna town the next day and set up base here on Kudle beach - a stretch of white sand lined with beach shacks and dread-locked hippies flaunting their talents from hoola hoops and crystal balls to fire swinging. Our chosen accomodation here on Kudle was Goutami Prasad where we stayed in a simple and rustic bamboo hut consisting of nothing but a bed, mosquito net, straw mat for our belongings and a sandy floor all for just 200 rupees. This place was paradise where we slowly watched the days turn into weeks, lazing on the beach sand between our toes without a care in the world. On the odd day we decided to venture further afield in search of more secluded beaches. After scrambling over barren headlands and giant boulders, we found our own slice of heaven at half moon beach where we were the only people inabiting the beach. With cash funds beginning to dry up we knew it was time to leave and head back to town, where we spent one more evening before catching the ealy bus to the oh-so-loved, all time favourite on the backpacker trail that is to be Hampi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 127, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb