Coorg


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Madikeri
May 9th 2008
Published: May 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Coorg it was for a long weekend. It's hard to believe that i have never been to Coorg having lived in the south all my life. We decided to try the homestay option and this landed us in Polaycad. Polaycad is a lovely old colonial bungalow adjoining the coffee estate and belongs to Mrs and Mr Cariappa, a lovely couple who hosted for 3 whole days. As Robin Cariappa explained to us on the tour of estate that "polay" in Coorgi language means river and "cad" means forest as is in Tamil also. The language that the coorgis speak is a hotch potch of various languages and does not really have a script of its own (well i didnt know that before!!!!!)

I lazed and slept and ate for the whole three days. Mallige (Not sure if I got taht right) Cariappa served us really delicious coorg dishes. What with anish starving for Pork dishes!!!! She actually made a lot of vegetarian dishes ...this is special 'coz coorg is famous for meat dishes particularly pork.

The Cariappas had a gorgeous house (am uploading some photos too) that has been theirs since 1929 and the place brought memories of the lovely Kochadai houses in Madurai and bungalows in ambas. We had gone to Coorg with Himani and Anish and afcourse Gautami!!!! And you know how photos are when kids are around, there are only pics of her...she looks so damn cute, am not complaining.

Well am rambling on and on because we really didnt do anything at all at Polaycad except chill on the lawn, eat and sleep.....raghu fell in love with teh dogs and spent some time with them, but besides that it was all about seeing the estate - it was coffee and pepper, the gorgeous anthuriums that Mallige had nurtured and the beautiful pieces of antique furniture...

We did manage to move ourselves to Madikeri itself to buy some spices, honey and stuff that Coorg is known for. Also met a few couples who were staying there...was an interesting experience overall given that I have never stayed done homestay in India...i know that sounds snooty but I have never experienced one out of lack of opportunities??? Not sure, but this first experience has only left me craving for more....It may be Polaycad again just for the lovely company of the hosts, the great food and be able to laze all day long...not necessarily in that order!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



31st May 2008

great.............
Nice to hear you guys had a great time in coorg try and visit again during monsoon end will fall in love all over again............ www.tuskerwoods.com
6th August 2008

homestay option
hi ... am planning a trip to coorg ... can you please give me a contact number for the homestay you availed? pragya
3rd December 2008

Contact nos pls.
Hello Harrypot, hope all is well with you. Do you think you could mail me the contact nos. of the Cariappa's? Many thanks and warmest regards, j
22nd December 2008

Delayed yet here
Sorry am travelling and just saw ur message...if ur trip is later in Jan I can still go back and look up teh number....
22nd October 2009

I didn know you write this beautifully:) If u wondering who this is, am Pavithra who worked for a couple of mths in Stanford with u. Ur blogs are a big big time passs trust me!

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb