Weekend to Hampi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hampi
April 4th 2014
Published: April 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

This is my first travel blog anywhere and would love to hear your feedback.

I will start with a brief introduction about Hampi.

Hampi is a village in northern Karnataka state, India. It is located within the ruins of Vijayanagara, the former capital of the Vijayanagara Empire. Predating the city of Vijayanagara, it continues to be an important religious centre, housing the Virupaksha Temple, as well as several other monuments belonging to the old city. The ruins are a UNESCO World Heritage Site, listed as the Group of Monuments at Hampi.

My friend Giri n myself headed for a weekend trip to Hampi towards end of Feb 2014. We travelledd by bus from Bangalore and was an 8 hours journey. On Saturday morning, we rented a motor bike and headed for seeing around Hampi. Ride from our hotel to Hampi was wonderful with an amazing view of paddy fields on one side of the road and sugar cane farms on the other side. We reached Hampi after an hour ride through the villages and farm lands, surounded by mountains.

We could see demolished and partly renovated Hindu temples in each and every corner of that old city. It is hard to explain the architecture and stone art of those monuments. Each design looked better than the rest.Many of the monuments were destroyed by the Muslim invaders hundreds of years back and some are being renovated. Crowd was less as it was an off-peak season due to summer temperatures, close to 40 C .

Due to time constraints, we had to limit our visit to a few of the temples on the first day and on the second way we headed for the bear sanctuary which was a two hours ride and watched feeding the bears. Then we headed to Tunga Badra Dam to view the sunset, where we hiked a nearby hill to get a better view of the horizon. We were back at the hotel by 8 PM and it was almost the time to catch the return bus. We returned happily with minds full of memories about that beautiful city.

I have attached a few photos from my trip here. I hope you enjoyed it and please do leave your comments. Thank you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



4th April 2014

Great Work
A Very Interesting Blog Post ,Put More Blogs

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb