Catching Up cont'd


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
May 10th 2006
Published: May 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This is the 3rd time I'm trying this today. Lost everything the last 2 times due to power outage. We had thunderstorms the last 2 evenings. We usually lose power for brief moments throughout the day, but systems typically are not affected. Computers and phones went out today along with the lights.

I've gotten used to lights going out a few times during the shift. It's only a momentary outage. Everyone just keeps on working like nothing has changed - that's just the way it is. One time I was in a fitting room at a store and the power went out. No one made a sound - toally silent. It was pitch black in there. I was feeling for my clothes to get dressed because I didn't know how long the lights would be out. I wonder if that's what it's like to be blind. Anyway, the power came back on about 3 minutes later, but only 1/2 power. When it's half power some lights and appliances remain off. Microwave, refrigerator, A/C and sometimes cable TV won't work at 1/2 power.

All infrastructure here is overwhelmed. The building that's going on here is phenomenal. I'm not talking about just suburbs popping up and more business complexes. There are MASSIVE (thousands)apartment complexes being built, roads are being constructed next to, and above or below, the roads currently being used. Something is being constructed EVERYWHERE! And life goes goes on in and around the mess. OSHA wouldn't know where to start! I see people at construction sites with hardhats and sandals! Women work the construction sites too. Some of them wear work boots, but they are unlaced and look way to big! Others just wear there sandals. The women have construction hats with what looks like a small pill hat (Jackie Kennedy used to wear) on top of the hardhat. This is so they can balance the round trays that they fill up with the rubble from trenches and dump into trucks waiting to haul the rubble away. The trays probably hold a few shovels full of rubble so you can expect it takes a long time to clean out a trench in which to lay piping. This goes on all over the city. Men dig the trenches with picks and shovels and women fill up their trays with the rubble, put the tray on top of their head and dump in the truck. There are some expert tray carriers that don't need that pill hat thing. They also carry sacks of rice, flour, whatever that way.

The place where I am staying does not feel like India. It is a gated community - complete with a store, several restaurants, bar and pool. Concrete houses with red tile roofs - coconut or palm tree lined streets. I would guess about 80% of residents are Indian, with the remainder being long-term residents on extended visas from US, France, Germany, England and other parts of Asia. It is a nice place for families with kids and for those of us who need to sleep during the daytime! Quiet. Just outside the gates is another story to be cont'd.... I need to get back to work now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb