Goa to Bangalore


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
May 19th 2009
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post


We left Palolem as the place was shutting down for the monsoon and with the intention of going to Cochin in Kerala. But we couldn't get on a train and decided to go by night bus to Bangalore. This was truly horrible. The "sleeper" bus was 1hr 45mins late. When we got on we were shown to our cabin which was too short to lie down and too low to sit up. To make matters worse the lights went out 30 seconds after the bus moved off and we found ourselves bouncing around the rear axle in a small claustrophobic cell. The aircon was also on to the max and we had shorts on. Never again until we have to!!!

Still we met a nice chap from Holland called Mau (short for Mauritz i think) and took a tuk tuk to a hotel then went for a long walk around town.

At first we liked Bangalore with its parks and slightly more high tech vibe but soon enough we found an annoying but significant minority of people to be pushy and rude. Tuk tuk drivers would only take you from A to B via a shop to claim their finders fee commission. They were more than happy to see us walk away and wait for the next mug. Queuing for anything wasn't worth it as people just pushed in.

The infrastructure of Banagalore isn't up to much given the IT money pouring in. Take for example on one side of the road a shopping mall near our hotel with a Marks and Spencer and a load of other big international brands. On the other side of the road the pavement had holes the size of lift shafts with god knows what at the bottom.

So we only spent one night there but it was interesting to see all the outsourced arms of global companies as well as lots of guys zooming around on motorbikes with Wipro amd Reuters backpacks containing laptops worth 6 months salary to many local Indians!


Advertisement



19th May 2009

Dave/Coz If I were you I would quickly move on to Hawaii, where they have lots of hola girls (and boys)
19th May 2009

Looking Good
Your trip looks like it has got off to a great start. India looks fab. I work with a guy who swapped a four hour commute to Mumbai on a train for the M62 and is the only person I know who thinks traffice on the M62 is nothing! I can see why now!! Enjoy -
19th May 2009

Doh!
Just left a comment on your post from Goa! Never mind, will get the hang of this by the time you get back to blighty.
20th May 2009

Greetings from FOZ
Hey guys! So Bangalore wasn´t that great....but I'm still so envious.... LOL. You both deserve this wild and special adventure. Take care!! XOXOX
23rd May 2009

One track mind!!
Brendan, you've got such a one track mind...!!! :-) The problem with Australian girls is that you might not need a paper bag, but you'll definitely need to wear some earplugs...!! Lol. We're having a great time together......so thanks, but no thanks!! ;-) Cheers ears!
23rd May 2009

Portuguese lessons!
Hey Cristina, great to hear from you! :-) We're staying opposite the Vasco da Gama church in Fort Cochin (south west India), where his original tomb was - so keeping up the Portuguese lessons...!!! The food is great, but the coffee is no where near as good as Portugals!! Having lots of fun though!! Take care!! xxx
23rd May 2009

Hi Justin
Yep the traffic in Mumbai is a total beeeeeaaaaachh. You would have a breakdown in under 6 months.

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb