Bangalore to Goa


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bandipur National Park
December 22nd 2008
Published: December 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well my plan for the blog has been a bit thwarted. I had hoped to blog nightly on the train via wi-fi and Anna's laptop. Alas, the internet for the last 7 days was not working. But as I have been told several times, the 2 keys to travel in India are Patience and a Sense of Humor. Keeping this uppermost in my mind has made this a most beautiful and exciting trip.

We rode a luxury train called the Golden Chariot for the past week. It works like a cruise ship on land. We sleep and eat on the train and have various excursions during the day. Because of the Mumbai incidents they received a number of cancellations so there were only 12 passengers on the train which has 19 cars including 2 dining cars, a bar/lounge, spa, workout room, business center (unhelpful because there was no internet) etc. The train is made for up to 90 passengers- next week they have around 60 for the holiday) So it has been like a private tour for us. The staff were amazing and our chef made the best Indian food I have ever had. We were absolutely spoiled the entire week.

We took a very fun trek into the jungle at Bandipur National Park where we were bluff charged by elephants, chased by monkeys, watched wild peacocks strutting about, saw spotted and samba deer, a mongoose, and the elusive guar (a type of wild cattle). This of course was one of the highlights for me.

We have also visited numerous temples and palaces which were absolutely magnificent. I will go into detail on these a bit later when I can add pictures.

We are now in Goa at a place called Yoga Magic. Despite the kitchy name it is a lovely oasis of calm and rest. Very eco friendly, they filter water instead of using plastic bottles, many guests stay in tents with composting toilets, and the paths are paved with a plaster using cow dung. Once it is dry it really makes for a durable surface and not at all stinky.

Last evening being the Solstice, we had a very nice ritual around the fire just at sundown.

More to come with photos at the next opportunity...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb