Day 14 - Leh to Pang


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Jammu & Kashmir » Ladakh
June 8th 2011
Published: July 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Got up at 4:30am packed everything and left hotel Thongsal at 7am.
Filled petrol and on the way visited Shey Palace and Thiksey monestry and reached Karu by 8:30am. Had breakfast the usual Alloo parantha with rajma curry and left at about 9:00am.
We passed Upshi, Tanglang la the second highest pass @ 17,582 feet. The roads were very slippery full of slush and gravel. We encountered one land slide and one snow slide on the way. Luckily both the times bulldozers immediately cleared the paths and we just had to wait for about 10-15 mins each time. At the spot where the snow slide was there except Ravish’s bike all the other bikes got stuck and trying to get the bikes out was a very tough and we were breathless. Thankfully one of the cab drivers came out and pushed our bikes and we could ride off.
Even in the plains called Morre plains the roads were literally non existant. We just saw the milestones and rode through the sand, gravel and mud. Hence the speed was painfully slow.
We finally reached Pang at 3pm and we were all exhausted to the core. The option for us to was to stay there for the night or go to Sarchu which was another 2 hours ride. We decided to take rest at Pang itself for the night and continue the journey tomorrow. The night was freezing cold and inspite of 5-5 layers of clothes, we had to sleep in our sleeping bags and have 2 quilts on top of it. The temperatures dipped down to -10 degrees. Some how we managed to get a good nights sleep.
The owners of the tent were kind enough to light a stove for us to sit around till we went to bed.
At Pang we are at an altitude of 14,190ft and its pretty cold here. We are in camping tents.
Since none of our cell phones have signal here we couldn’t contact any one today.
We rode totally 180kms in 7 hours.
My odo totaled 1680.

Photos taken on Day 14

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=pottumarthi&target=ALBUM&id=5625447621242314545&authkey=Gv1sRgCP-bxNiZk-K0Sg&feat=email

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb