Musing on Transport


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Shimla
October 22nd 2017
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

We left our lovely family in the beautiful Kullu Valley today and made the long 10 hour trip to Shimla. Our driver was much different to the one we had one the way up and actually managed to pass other vehicles WITHOUT USING THR HORN. I am sure this is against some regulation and as soon as I get to grips with the traffic admin here I will report him for his dangerous behaviour.

The long trip was useful to reflect on the first week in India. What had surprised me most? Well, the Ambassador is dead, long live the Swift. Let me explain.

Most cars in India are small, very clean and white. 50% of them are Suzukis, I know this because I conducted my own survey today. Most of the Suzukis are Swifts, but there seems to be a variety of shapes. The Ambassador, previously the prince of cars in India (excuse me for mixing my social strata), is now hardly to be seen.

The Suzuki Swift (white) rules supreme. Fully laden with four well nourished Indians it can scale steep, pothole ridden single lane mountain roads, passing bigger cars and staring down trucks on blind corners with a single blast of the horn. Getting to work on the Auckland motorway is going to be so much more fun after this lesson in driving.

Other modes of transport are also worth noting - all the photos here were taken today. The swing bridge is used on a daily basis by people and livestock - like the packhorses. The boat was tied beneath it. The man carrying the grasses was trying to cross the bridge amongst all the tourists (self included). We had also tried the train network earlier in the week and found it a most relaxing experience, departing on time and arriving not too much behind schedule.

In Shimla we struck a huge hold up, state elections are soon and all the candidates were here to lodge their papers. Being politicians they don't know how to park or drive so it took about 1.5 hours to go the last 5 km. Having sat through that, you know why the pollution is so bad. Nevertheless it did make for a pretty sunset shot.

An early night tonight and off exploring tomorrow. The Blackcaps have just won the cricket. I can't hear any celebratory fireworks and I hope we will be safe tomorrow if people find out we are kiwis!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb