Bollywood in town


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Mcleod Ganj
August 14th 2015
Published: August 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

I am in bed. About 8.30pm. The family has been out all day 'important meetings' to do with the Ashram expansion. 'Many steps' Reeta said describing the planning process for the development of the Ashram. So not just a nod from one official and a wink from another? Without asking questions they can't be bothered answering I cant get a sense of how easy or difficult it is to build things here. They have really cool sounding plans, new road on other side of the river to a village gonna be built by the government, so using the road they will build a bridge for access, a car park, a platform for yoga outside by the river, and plant more water absorbing trees, 'all around' he says excitedly using his arm to display the scenery in front.

On the veranda is a group of people huddled around Rashpal who is in control of his laptop, beaming. 'Pierre, would you like tea?' Reeta asks. 'Oh...yes please' this could be awkward. And it is. I sit on one end. It seems like the middle is the most important and as it expands you get the least important. And everyone is looking in. And says nothing. The action is in the middle. Reeta hands out tea & biscuits. Happy with the distraction, I have something to do. For a bit. I make an attempt, can't remember what I said, he turns but doesn't reply. 'Do you speak English?', 'speak Hindi?' Clearly he speaks English. Maybe have just made social faux pas? Still not sure because we converse quite pleasantly, I think his question was if I played sport. I thought it was a weird question. But at least some action was going on on the fringes. It couldn't have been all bad; as they were leaving the same guy requests a photo. We stand together. Another fairly awkward moment. His hand slowly grasps mine. Ha, this guy's gotta sense of humour, the fingers interlock, or maybe not. I dare not risk a glance. Later I ask Rashpal about this. He doesn't understand and needs a demo, oh for christ sake. 'Means, (the pause) goood friend...an emotional connection' not sure he knows what that implies, but I nod politely.

I discover the following day this was a team from Bollywood. The 2 exceedingly polite and courteous goon looking yellow t-shirt wearing, way too much gel in hair monstrously large younger guys were the bodyguards. It doesn't matter it was night time. Surely some shades?? Reeth as it happens is a professional singer and has been asked to perform voice-over for a new movie. Rashpal also seems to have a hand in film as I saw him on a movie cover lying about as producer. And the guy in the middle was the director!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb