McLeod Ganj


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Mcleod Ganj
March 7th 2009
Published: March 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Chorten Prayer WheelsChorten Prayer WheelsChorten Prayer Wheels

McLeod Ganj chowk
We have reached our new home in the hills, surrounded by snow covered peaks, endless walks and not many roads so we are thankfully minus the noise pollution of the Asian toot to drive technique.

We have been here 3 weeks now and it felt like home immediately. We found a flat at the bottom of town so it is a steep walk uphill everyday to work.

When we arrived at our office to start work, the computers had crashed so the office was in disarray. We seemed to be bribed into teaching a class of 30 Tibetan monks and students whom travel to McLeod Ganj on their holidays to learn English. The only direction he gave us was that they were intermediate level.
It was a big class from 10 year old kids to elderly nuns and monks, some could not introduce themselves whilst others were way too intelligent. We only planned to stay 1 or 2 days until they found a real teacher, however no teacher has arrived and they were so welcoming and thankful for our time we couldn't leave them, so we remain 3 weeks later. We have learnt a little bit about teaching, and they have taught us alot also.

After the class is English conversation groups on the roof of the monastery, we gather in small groups with one English speaker per group and pass a pen. Whomever has the pen challengers another on anything they wish. Topics cover anything from politics, economics, Buddhist philosophy, and the world's stance on China. Topics can be very challenging, and they are keen to hear our ideas and views on all. They are a very passionate community and all feel the need to achieve something for their country in order to keep their culture alive.
It has felt like a privilege to work with them.

As the holidays have now finished our English class has dwindled in numbers. Glen therefore takes the class on his own, whilst Leanne has commenced caring for babies of the Tibetan refugee community. It is a brilliant organization called 'Rogpa' translating to 'trusted friends and helpers' (link is attached below). It aims to help the Tibetan refugee community get to their feet, by offering free childcare to mothers so they are able to work.
This week there has been 2 babies, however the big challenge is on the 12th
TriundTriundTriund

Sunset from our flat
March when the baby centre opens and we provide care for 40 babies. Already it is a challenge with 2 as when 1 cries the other decides to cry also, cannot imagine how that will work with 40 babies from 0-3year old.

Last Monday we were also lucky enough to see HH the Dalai Lama arrive home from his European visit. The town lined the streets, with incense and offerings which formed a bowing wave of people as the convoy drove past.
As we don't live far from his residence we circumambulate around his residence most days (as most Tibetans do, and have done for centuries around the Potala Palace). There is a small bush track lined with prayer flags and prayer wheels and it has been interesting observing the government officials coming and going from his residence.

HH the Dalai Lama will also be giving a free teaching next Wednesday at the main temple so we are very much looking forward to that.

We planned a 2 day walk up to a glacier this weekend staying at a half way mountain hut however we have awoken to stormy weather, so have postponed.

We plan to
Mo ni pad me om stonesMo ni pad me om stonesMo ni pad me om stones

Circumabulating path around HH the Dalai Lama's residence
stay another month or two so may add to this journal.....


Http://www.tibetrogpa.org/home.php


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Hunger Strike for LosarHunger Strike for Losar
Hunger Strike for Losar

Losar was not celebrated this year as a peaceful protest against the Chinesse, as a mark of respect for the Tibetans that lost their lives this year.
HH Dalia Lama returns!HH Dalia Lama returns!
HH Dalia Lama returns!

This is the road we live in
HH Dalai Lama arriving homeHH Dalai Lama arriving home
HH Dalai Lama arriving home

We skipped our english class to await HH's arrival which was well worth it! Everyone lined the roads which formed a waving bow as he drove past.
DharamakotDharamakot
Dharamakot

A weekend walk to a neighbouring village


23rd March 2009

Are you home?
This sounds like bliss for you both! Are you home? (Maybe not the screaming children) Living on the same road as the Dalai Lama, speaking to the locals about politics and economy. Not to mention circumambulating (is this right?) around the Dalai Lama's residence... I'm very happy for you both! Glen the beard is thriving and the photo of the monk and the flag is wonderful (I assume it is yours as on fb) xoxo
15th April 2009

Loving this!!
Hi guys, I am loving reading about and seeing all the photos of your adventures. Sounds incredible everything you are doing and seeing. Looking forward to the next adventure... Tara

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb